Building Regulations for a Store (moved from Building)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Hopefully somebody can give me some advice.

I am buying a bungalow with a converted garage which is used by the current owner as a bedroom, and which I intend to used as a spare bedroom.

I have just seen the building regulations consent, which states in the description "Conversion of garage to store"

I would like to know if there are separate regulations for a "store" compared to a habitable space?

And if so, what problems might I encounter by using this space as a spare bedroom - I would guess cold may be the main one.

Can these problems be addressed without rebuilding the garage?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
The garage shouldn't be advertised as a bedroom. That would be against the property misdescriptions act. You also couldn't sell it as a bedroom. Potential issues: Using it as a bedroom could be an insurance problem - should there ever be a major problem the insurance company could cancel your insurance and not entertain any claim. Building regs might come knocking and force you to desist using it as a bedroom. The room might be capable of upgrading but depends entirely on the construction. My guess is you would need to start as if it were a garage conversion rather than an upgrade.

Well you should be able to offer a much lower price on property now, as it has 1 less bedroom.

Sponsored Links
I'm puzzled as to why Building Control was involved in converting a garage to a store.

If it was being converted to habitable space, notification would have been required, but if this was done more than a year ago then it's out of time for enforcement, unless it's structurally dangerous.

I don't see that what it's being used for now is part of Building Control's remit. That's a planning issue, and planning permission isn't usually needed to convert a garage into habitable space, assuming permitted development rights haven't been removed.

In practical terms I'd be concerned as to whether insulation and ventilation were adequate.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back