building theory..

Well ColJack, if I won the double roll over lottery, I don’t think I would be looking to rebuild Dover Castle.
I would be in an air conditioned bar somewhere in the Bahamas with half a dozen bikini clad young birds, just watching the waves come in and waiting for bed time.
Now to me that is idiot proof, and if evolution can make a better idiot, then bring him on, and he can join me.
old un. :D :D

Sponsored Links
Well ColJack, if I won the double roll over lottery, I don’t think I would be looking to rebuild Dover Castle.
I would be in an air conditioned bar somewhere in the Bahamas with half a dozen bikini clad young birds, just watching the waves come in and waiting for bed time.
Argh, got that in there before me oldun! :p

someone mentioned the toilet straight off the kitchen.. i take it that this is a no-no.. what's the rule regarding this then..

next question would be bout the floor..
what's the max span I can do block and beam flooring at?
I'm re-planning the above as something to do to learn sketchup.

No problem having a bog off a kitchen, you can span about 9m span at a push with B&B so I wouldn't worry about that.

Keep your walls to 300mm wide and for Gods sake start using Sketchup, free for the basic version, a peace of p*ss to use and a lot more fun!

Wish I could just use Sketchup all day long! :(

damn you...
I downloaded it yesterday and started messing with it about 11am..
I've just looked at the clock and realised it's quarter to four in the morning and I havent eaten anything since breakfast.. ( which I suppose technically makes it the day before yesterday when I downloaded it.. )

this thing should come with a warning.. :D

so far I've sussed multiple floor buildings, made some doors with glass in them and stored them for future use, and got the hang of the "follow me" tool.. very handy for architraves and cornices..

now if it only came with a wider selection of textures, or at least a downloadable pack..

does it do mirrors?

Sponsored Links
Aye it is strangely addictive! :oops:

You'll need to pay for the full version to get the cheeky extra good bits and unless your machine is a real powerhouse, the models start to get really slow if you start downloading too many components so I always do that bit at the end. You can download mirrors from the 3D Warehouse.

ah, that says for 6, didn't think it was compatible with 7.. the one that says "coming soon.." .. great, if they work then I'll grab them..

now, another stupid question..

can you have a front door opening onto the top of a set of external steps? or do I need some sort of landing outside the door?

Edit: thinking about it more, its a bit of a moot point really as a new dwelling ought to have a level entrance with no steps unless ground conditions are so extreme that it is not possible, if stairs are unavoidable then the landing should be minimum 900mm.

rather unavoidable as this is a flat above a double garage.. :)
a re-think on the design from page 1..
external steps so it would be self contained without giving them access to my nice cars ( it's for visitors to my lottery house, or maybe staff..:) )

anyone got ( or a like to ) a guide for room sizes..
like minimum / confortable size for a single bedroom or family bathroom etc?

it's designed for a sloped site too.. ( back to front ) so the garage bit could be built part into a hill and the windows at the rear, one could be swapped for a set of doors and open onto the garden or a raised deck area..

Access needs to be provided from the bedrooms into a protected compartment to allow escape in the event of a fire ie your bedrooms and living room need to be accessed off of a hallway which leads directly to the front door. he way you've drawn it the only way to escape from a fire should one occur in the kitchen or living room is through a window which on its own is not enough to satisfy the regs. That room in the bottom right, is that a bedroom or a bathroom? In any case you seem to have a lobby between it & the bedroom in the bottom left and the living room which is also a no-no.

PS if that is a bedroom in the bottom right where's the bathroom?

why is the lobby a no no? it's called a hallway and is in every single house I've ever been in. mine just happens to be square ish..

the egress windows are on the accessible side of the property and should there be a fire in the bedroom and lounge ( maybe from a setee catching fire and taking the bedroom wall with it ) then egress is into the lobby ( with door seperating it from kitchen / lounge area and into the bathroom where there will also be an egress window
there will be a fire detection and supression system fitted if it ever gets built ( ie sprinklers )

the front door does open onto a lobby then into the lounge..
the cupboard off the front door lobby will house a washer & dryer, and possibly the boiler ( solar / ground or air source heat pump, not gas.. )

how about if I make the front bedroom window open onto a balcony? that's fresh air :)

Ahh my bad I think you can get away without a protected escape route.

/note to self: must read the Building Regs! :rolleyes: :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back