building to boundary

Sponsored Links
Just reading this thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/trespass-issue-with-neighbours-extension.567370/ & wondered if you can stop people building to their boundary in a situation like this. I personally would not be happy if my next door neighbour wanted to do a similar thing. Surely they need to leave space on their own property to gain access to it without coming on to next doors.

Nope, not a damn thing. Why would you think you could control what a neighbour does on their own property? (Obviously with the exception of the roof verge overhang trespass)

How do people maintain fences and walls that are on the boundary so as to actually denote the boundary?

Check your house deeds. Ours (and neighbours) have a covenant giving owners the right to reasonable access to an adjoining property in order to maintain their own property.

Sponsored Links
Nope, not a damn thing. Why would you think you could control what a neighbour does on their own property? (Obviously with the exception of the roof verge overhang trespass)
Why should they think they can come on to my property to maintain theirs?

Check your house deeds. Ours (and neighbours) have a covenant giving owners the right to reasonable access to an adjoining property in order to maintain their own property.
Would that not be from when the property was built not when the neighbour changed the need later?

Why should they think they can come on to my property to maintain theirs?

In the example you cited I fail to see what maintenance is required. Maybe that is why the neighbour is faced with an ugly concrete block wall? Perhaps if he had worked with the neighbour he might have got a nicer brick wall or painted render finish?
If you live in a terraced or semi-detached property surely allowing neighbours access for occasional maintenance is just the decent thing to do? Otherwise buy a detached property then you can control everything around your own house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back