Extension / Boundary issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I have a bit of an issue with our neighbours at the moment concerning our extension.

We live in an ex local authority semi (still LA next door). I put a single story extension up a couple of years ago. On the bouside with the adjoining property I came 50-75mm short of the boundary line. This was for 2 reasons. 1. so the roof overhang was inline with the boundary. 2. So I could put a little retaining wall on the boundary to prevent any land building up against the extension on the neighbours side.

I am yet to build the retaining wall but now the woman who has just moved in next door has shoved a load of 20mm gravel up against the wall 50-60mm above our DPC. When I asked if she could move it she refused and the housing trust sent a surveyor around and he said it would be OK (I disagree).

I pointed out to the surveyor that the houses are at the same level and therefore their DPM must be compromised. They have even covered the air bricks. He just said 'well there is no evidence of damp in their property'. Surely it is just a matter of time.

Is this surveyor correct? I am not happy about the DPM being breached.
Should they be made to bring their land down to the correct height?
Should I be allowed around to build a retaining wall on the boundary?

So many questions, I am sorry!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No he is not correct, nor is he a surveyor ... or a crap one if he claims to be

Point out to the association that you have not changed the boundary line and their tenant has committed a trespass by filling in the void against your wall, and that if the association sanctions this then they are party to it as the land owner

As for your proposed retaining wall, as you have only left 50-70mm to the boundary, I cant see how you can build a retaining wall that thin. You can not build on the boundary or across it, only up to it

Thanks for the reply. I did not think what he was saying was quite right. I can not believe they would be happy with the level of land on their property as it will surely have issues for penetrating rising damp.

Would it be possible to put in something very thin to act as a retaining wall? At the back of our property the houses are at a higher level and they had used a sheet of some kind of metal about 2mm thick to hold back quite a lot of earth. There must be something I could use. If it is not possible to put in some kind of retaining wall should there just be a void between their land and our extension?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I did not think what he was saying was quite right. I can not believe they would be happy with the level of land on their property as it will surely have issues for penetrating rising damp.

Would it be possible to put in something very thin to act as a retaining wall? At the back of our property the houses are at a higher level and they had used a sheet of some kind of metal about 2mm thick to hold back quite a lot of earth. There must be something I could use. If it is not possible to put in some kind of retaining wall should there just be a void between their land and our extension?

Many thanks.

I agree, their surveyor doesn't sound suitably qualified to understand the implications.

re: your second point, it sounds like the retaining structure to these other houses is formed from sheet piles. Although the steel is relatively thin, the corrugated pattern (to allow interlocking and provide strength) mean you'll have to look for a very narrow section to fit your 50-70mm gap.

Sponsored Links
You could use a paving slab on edge.

Really, with this type of situation you should install the DPC above the highest ground level and form a cavity tray, and tank the inside of the cavity. But its too late now.

The problem with these small gaps is trying to keep the earth back, or stopping any gap from filling up with crap over time. If you try and line the wall externally with something like polythene then there is still a risk of dampness from capillary action, so its always best IMO to keep the ground off the wall

Tell them to build a small retaining wall or kerb to keep their gravel on their side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back