Building work, replacements and repairs to your home

n2o

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the title of a leaflet being distributed by Communities and Local Government to consumers that have planning permission approval or make enquiries about building regulations.

This is similar to GWN, but also covers, amonst other things, the installation of a new bathroom or kitchen where there are alterations to existing or installation of new electrical and plumbing work. Only like for like replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks are not covered.

I am about to quote for removing a bath, basin and toilet and installing a shower cubicle, basin and toilet in new positions. Will I have to notify this work to Building Control and pay a fee or join a Competent Persons Scheme and shell out even more money?

As a one man band, if I have to do either I might as well not bother quoting for the job because the extra costs/overheads involved would make me uncompetitive on price.

Sponsored Links
As a one man band, if I have to do either I might as well not bother quoting for the job because the extra costs/overheads involved would make me uncompetitive on price.

how would it make you uncompetitive ?
everyone else still has to pay

evening
if you google the website for APHC,you can use their services for this type of work and i belive you dont have to be a member and will cost you £1.50 for each notification,they do all the paper work
i am guessing they will eventually try and make you a member
they sent me a leaflet a short while back but now being in a employed postion it is something i dont need to do now
good luck
bob

how would it make you uncompetitive ?
everyone else still has to pay
Being Self Employed it wouldn’t make economic sense to go through all the hassle and expense of joining a Competent Persons Scheme, ACS is more than enough for me. It might be worth it for a larger firm with say five employees. I don’t know what the alternative would cost, but I can’t imagine that obtaining a Building Notice for each job is going to be cheep.
Unless I am reading more into it than is necessary, the type of work covered is not just for new build or extensions to domestic dwellings, but the type of work I described in my original post. If I included the cost of obtaining a Building Notice, I suspect that the competition wouldn't and this is why my quote would be uncompetitive.

evening
if you google the website for APHC,you can use their services for this type of work and i belive you dont have to be a member and will cost you £1.50 for each notification,they do all the paper work
i am guessing they will eventually try and make you a member
they sent me a leaflet a short while back but now being in a employed postion it is something i dont need to do now
good luck
bob
The £1.50 that you mention is only for RGI’s with current ACS notifying what CORGI used to do for us. I don’t know if Gas Safe is going to continue where CORGI left off or if APHC are hoping to take over this service.

Sponsored Links
then do what everyone else does just fit them.
tell me how many diyers that buy bathroom suites, hw cylinders etc from sheds then go home & fit them and get on to the building control.

hi n20
just found the letter they sent me and reads
"option 3,from the ist of april use aphcs notification system(open to non members) costing from £1.50 per notification.this system allows you to notifiy:gas,oil,solid fuel,renewable,defined scope part p electrics,plumbing systems and more including water reulations

option 1 is to notify the local building control

option 2 is to join a competemt persons scheme

i guess they think no one is rushing to join the competent persons schemes,probarly cost, credit crunch etc and are trying to encourage people to use them by relaxing the system
many thanks
bob

I am about to quote for removing a bath, basin and toilet and installing a shower cubicle, basin and toilet in new positions. Will I have to notify this work to Building Control and pay a fee or join a Competent Persons Scheme and shell out even more money?
Hi n2o, this work is not notifiable anyway as far as BRegs are concerned, so worry thy self not.

As long as all items are fitted correctly and do not contravene (sp :oops: ) any byelaws etc
What could they charge you with for not notifying :?:
More Red Tape again this country is a P*ss take
And I would nt advise anyone to join the APHC as they are a Total waste of time IMHO

Sponsored Links
Back