Built under oven and elec hob replacing freestanding cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched through a few threads but just wanted clarification

I have brought A SamsungPKG100 single oven with maximum output rating of 3400W and C61R2AEE hob which has 2 burners with an output of 1.8kW and 2 burners with an output of 1.2kW.

Currently replacing kitchen with freestanding cooker which is hardwired to a cooker circuit.

My question is can I wire both the oven and hob to this one connection? There is a socket near it which is in the cooker circuit but I read somewhere you can't wire a plug to oven over 3kw. Should I change it to a FCu or wire both to the old connection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My question is can I wire both the oven and hob to this one connection?
Yes, but use 4mm² flex for both the hob and the oven -
Assuming it is a 'normal' cooker circuit of 6mm² cable and 30A fuse or 32A mcb.

There is a socket near it which is in the cooker circuit but I read somewhere you can't wire a plug to oven over 3kw. Should I change it to a FCu
No, that would work out the same.
It's because the oven is more than 13A (the fuse in plug or FCU)

or wire both to the old connection?
Yes.

That's brilliant just as I thought cheers for the response. Didn't think FCu is an option, will just wore both hob and oven into same old connection (which is on sufficient cooker circuit rating)

Just so I'm clear the 4mm2 wire, does that have to be of a particular rating and Can I get from screwfix/bNq etc?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Will probably buy the wire from your link to be safe. Not fitting till next week so can buy a few meters online.

Really appreciate the advice.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
last question.
manual says h05ss-f (180degree c) cable required (for hob)
Possibly for very good reasons.

can i use 4mm flex (from the link) ok as it was the one i was going to buy for the oven flex?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H07RN-F-3...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item460dc5af59

its a lower temp rating
I would so not use a cable with a lower temperature rating than specified the maker of the very hot thing it supplies.

but cant find stockists of the recommened
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h05ss-f&tbm=shop

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
last question.
manual says h05ss-f (180degree c) cable required (for hob)
That's very high.

can i use 4mm flex (from the link) ok as it was the one i was going to buy for the oven flex?
That's what I would use.

its a lower temp rating but cant find stockists of the recommened
Neither can I.

if i use the 4mm off ebay its surely better than twin and e what some people use anyway ?
The H07RN is rated lower for current so not suitable - unless you get 6mm².

So I'm good buying 4 meters of your original email link?

Manual for hob says 4-6mm
For oven says 1.5-2.5mm

I'll buy from the link you sent me and fix both appliances to same socket?

I have only just noticed BAS's post.

The link to cable does not show any 4mm² which, if not used, would mean different wiring arrangements.

I appreciate MIs but have not before come across such a high temperature requirement.

So we're going to stick to the original plan for your 4mm for both oven and job?

I didn't think there was ever any other.

The only problem is the temperature rating of the cable.

Surely that's an overkill by the manufacturer?

Most people would just refit with twin and earth!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back