Bulbs keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved here a few months ago and have been rather surprised at the rate at which the light bulbs fail.

The average bulb seems to last about 2-3 months. The other anoying thing is when the bulb goes it trips the CB and plunges the house into darkness. One light (in the hall) seemed to fail more than the others so I replaced the ceiling rose and lamp holder, but that seems to have been a waste of time and effort.

Any ideas?

Cheers. HNY

Sponsored Links
Are you using a cheap kind of bulb, like eastern European? They sometimes don't last long. The only bulbs that ever trip my MCB are small spotlights in the kitchen, very annoying, ordinary pearl bulbs don't.

A possible cause can be poor connections at the switch or bulbholder, this is more common in an old installation or one that has been inexpertly altered.

Another rare cause is voltage fluctuations, can happen if you have an overhead supply out in the country.

If you use those energy-saving lamps, compact fluorescents, then they will last a lot longer, and won't trip the MCB. they are also very tolerant of voltage variation. Tesco do some very low-priced ones if cost is an issue.

BTW, stand by for electricians telling you "Bulbs grow flowers, Lamps give light" ;)

another thing to consider is the if the bulbs are overrated for the fittings and overheating
as in does it say 40w max and a 100w fitted!!!!!!

as said above by johnd low energy bulbs would cure this problem as they are lower heat output

Thanks for the tips, guys.

One thing I forgot to mention is that lamp failure always occurs at switch on.

Sponsored Links
Low quality bulbs or high voltage.

Do you live in town or country?

OK, so I imagine you've got an underground supply to a streetful of houses, not an overhead supply coming at you on poles or an isolated building. Then the voltage should be about right. Do your neighbours have trouble with lamps failing prematurely?

BTW, the hall and landing lights usuallly fail earliest, because they are on all evening, every day. They are also the first ones you should fit compact fluorescents to, it will save energy as well as inconvenience. Mine last for years (Phillips 20W Electronic large globe).

(forgot to ask, the lamps that are failing, are they all the same make bought at the same time, or a variety?)

I'll ask the neighbours if they have any problems. Unfortunately the problem extends to the lounge as well.

Question: do compact flourescents fail in the same way, ie with over voltage and extended use?

Pen-ultimate said:
I'll ask the neighbours if they have any problems. Unfortunately the problem extends to the lounge as well.

Question: do compact flourescents fail in the same way, ie with over voltage and extended use?

Compact fluorescents have a very wide voltage tolerance (I used to know the figures, but it's much more than you'll ever need, something like 50 or 100 volts) and last 5,000 or 8,000 hours, usually. One of mine has run continually for 3 years (it's in a porch light where the photocell has failed-on and cost of running is less than cost of new exterior luminaire).

For the lounge you haven't got to use those ugly stick-like lamps which are the cheapest (unless they're hidden bu a big shade); you can get them with an opal globe and warm tones (like my Phillips, above) at extra cost.

Thanks, John.

I think I can see a large consignment of compact flurries being ordered - if I'm fitting one I may as well do the whole house.

Cheers, HNY

Get a few of different wattages first to see what suits you. Some people say that the ones claiming to be equivalent to a 60w or a 100w are not really as bright.

I find a 25w globe is just about as good as a 100w, and looks attractive in an open shade.

The sticks are usually brighter than the warm globes.

I find Tesco is cheaper than the DIY sheds or electrical wholesalers, for modest quantities.

Pen - remember these lamps cannot be dimmed, so if you have dimmer switches they'll need to be replaced.

Have a look on ebay for energy saving bulbs theres loads to choose from.

Also your energy supplier will give you some for free if you call them.

good luck.

your energy supplier will give you some for free if you call them.

Free advice and now free bulbs!!

Many thanks to all for the help - and the bulbs sorry lamps

Pen-ultimate said:
your energy supplier will give you some for free if you call them.

Free advice and now free bulbs!!

Many thanks to all for the help - and the bulbs sorry lamps

Aye yer Garden will soon be bloomimg.
]
Happy new year everybody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back