Bulge in ceilin from leaking flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon folks.

Leaking flat roof, water bulge in kitchen ceiling! Is it better to lance bulge and allow water through, into very large bucket, than leave it to burst on its own? Seems favourite to me. Can cover roof with tarp., while still raining, apply waterproofing when dried out. Best way to lance bulge and any other advice gratefully received. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
poke holes in the ceiling with a skewer or something and let it drain into a bucket. The sooner you get it dry the better. You will need several holes. The longer the plaster is wet the more likely it is to collapse; and the wood to rot; and the electric to fuse, and it will be slowly leaking out and causing more damage. The insulation will tend to hold the water.

Try to put the first holes above the sink and drainer to catch the water.

What did your house insurers say, when you asked them?

After you have had the roof mended you will have to pull the ceiling down, throw away the ruined insulation, and reconstruct. I would add timber preserver as well.

Yes poke away, not too deep in case of cables and pipes. seen complete ceilings down that could have been saved by a bit of draining. make a good size hole in the bubble because that bit will most likely have to be cut out and patched anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thank you everybody for your very helpful advice! Also the safety advice!

The bungalow is part of a small farm I rent, been here 19 years, landlady does not do repairs! Carry out basic and temporary repairs myself, have electrician I can call on and a plumber.

Will carefully deal with bulge, which is above a window, not near the sink unfortunately!

Shame it's a lovely bungalow, wooden, Swedish, should be listed. Going up for sale in about a year, when i leave, AOC restrictions. Will have to go for silly money due to agricultural ties and lack of repair. Till then I'm keeping it together and staying safe. Environmental Health are aware! Many thanks, have a good evening!

why not post photos of the roof surface - its possible that there's a quick, temporary fix to prevent further leaks?

Thanks, will do that. Have several things that can be used, will sort them out in the morning! Blowing a gale tonight, should have died down by morning, fields all round so catch a breeze!

Hello, weathers been bad, to windy to go up a ladder. Very rural so don't like going up ladders outside when the weather is bad in case I fall! Have taken photos of inside and will post later this evening. Time for tea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back