Bumble bee nest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At my girlfriend's house there is a bumble bee nest under a flagstone that is in EXACTLY the place I want to build a dwarf wall for a conservatory.

I'm not willing to dig it up/kill them so does anyone know when they vacate the nest so I can get on with it?

Sponsored Links
August/September time? Just a guess.

If you're not willing to get rid of it, I will. ;)

30ijj0k.jpg

You can move a bumble bee nest out of the way....loads of info online on how to do it. I wouldnt kill them, they do wonders for your garden!

Sponsored Links
Joe , I know you`re apis taker but this is ridiculous :mrgreen:

We have had a bee hive in our thatch for years now, wouldn't dream of getting rid.

Contact a local bee keeper , explain whats going on and they may come and move it for you.
Dont kill them, our bees are disappearing fast enough as it is.

How do you know that they are bumble bees? There are many varieties. If you can contact a local bee keeper, as the previous poster suggests, then the bees can be relocated.

But due to the many offensive posts you have made to various members, including me, maybe you will be stung in the extraction, otherwise, enjoy the honey. Karma works.

Smoke seems to make Bees migrate, or sedate them.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

I found a load of big B's in my computer this morning. What should I do? :rolleyes:

Can the bee keepers remove the bees from a crack in an external wall?

They are inside the wall..!

Bumble bees built a nest under my workshop floor near the door a few years ago and stayed for two years then left.
To be honest they really weren't a problem unless I happened to be in the doorway when they came to land.I say land but as you may know bumbles aren't the worlds best flyers and it's more like a kamakazi dive to the nest and they seem to be unable to steer very well during that dive. I was hit or rather crashed into several times but never stung, bumbles will die after stinging and generally they don't resort to the sting unless the nest is threatened.

They dont all die when they sting.

What happens to a nest in the winter? How long do bees live for?

They dont all die when they sting.

What happens to a nest in the winter? How long do bees live for?

Correct , if you give them time to pull the sting out they'll be ok.
I think that most bees only live for a year and the nest in effect hibernates over winter and rebuilds if the queen survives. I'm assuming the queens only live for a couple of years ?

Sponsored Links
Back