Bumpy plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help with this problem.
Our son moved into his home four years ago. The walls had been skimmed and decorated. Just recently two internal walls have started to become bumpy as you can see from the picture.
diningroom2.jpg

The only thing that has changed is they have a new baby and have the heating on 24/7 whereas before they were out at work and only had the heating on for a few hours a day.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hmmm indeed RC, bubbling paint just above the skirting, some kind of damp/efflorescence i'd say, as to why it's started all of a sudden, you say it's just been plastered?

Sponsored Links
Looks like rising damp to me. I gather this has appeared at ground level? Even if the walls were skimmed 4 years ago it is possible that the plasterers have bridged the damp course and it has just started to show through. If the sub-floor is concrete you could take off the skirting and look at were the plastering finishes. If it meets the floor, then the damp course is bridged, hence rising damp. There could be many other reasons though like a failed injection DPC, a newly added concrete floor in an adjacent room or property next door etc etc. Either way, it needs fixing before it causes more damage, it will only get worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back