NEAT plastering help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I had my walls skimmed and can't tell whether the plasterer did a good job or not. Should he have removed the plug sockets and light switches in order to get a smooth line behind them? He just unscrewewed them a tiny bit but it looks very messy and now the switch does not sit flat on the wall.

Also where the walls meet the skirting boards, the plaster is bumpy. I understand in old houses walls are not flat to begin with but if the plasterer has used caulk in places, i would asume he would have filled all the gaps neatly?

Please have a look at the images attached as examples. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

I usually remove the switch plates but many don't; I do it for ease & convenience but it should still look good. Don't usually use caulk & plaster!

Thanks Richard

It doesn't look very good. I don't know if you could see my images?

I believe the plasterer used decorator's chalk? this is what his text message said! What would you recommend for filling any gaps between the wall and skirting or around sockets?

View media item 12923 View media item 12924
very shabby job :confused: always makes for a better finish removing sockets and switches. the internal corner looks a bit rough as well.

to make the best of a bad job i would use fastset to mask out and make up all the blemishes.......let it dry then sand it down.

a plasterer does not leave that type of finish either!!!!!! looks like the efforts of one of those 7 day courses boys. men get booted off sites for leaving work not even remotely as bad as that.

sorry for ranting but it gets my back up when i see this all to frequent quality of work by people masquerading as tradesmen plasterers and giving us all a bad name.......... :confused:

[EDIT] decorators caulk[EDIT] ;)

Sponsored Links
Very amateur bodged up job. As Alastair said, that type of person wouldn't last five minutes on a site. "Plasterer"???, don't think so, going by his work. :eek:

Roughcaster.

blimey! :eek:

admittedly i'm a course plasterer, albeit a 4 week one, but i didn't even get things that wrong during my first week!

shocking that is!

and now for the advice...i agree with Alastair, use an easifill type filler and a trowel, fill up the holes and sand it flat once dry, it's made for this type of work and sands really easily.

sorry you've been done over littlestreatham. :(

P.S. i normally remove sockets/switches etc, i find it easier but as Richard says, most don't but still get a good finish.

I'll tell you what TM,, you talk a good job. The advice you give mate can't be faulted and the things you're not sure of,, you say. You're a good plasterer in the making, hang on in, cos your hearts in the trade,, good luck to you, and i enjoy reading your replies. ;)

Roughcaster.

I've just noticed TM that you were writing about me in another post,as i was writing about you in this one,,,, hmm,, funny that,,, even scary,, don't tell anyone,,,sshhhhhh :confused: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

I'll tell you what TM,, you talk a good job. The advice you give mate can't be faulted and the things you're not sure of,, you say. You're a good plasterer in the making, hang on in, cos your hearts in the trade,, good luck to you, and i enjoy reading your replies. ;)

Roughcaster.

You been reading my thought with this RC, I've been watching TM as well
and thinking he'll probably make a good one, shame he's based a bit to far out to give him a little coaching.

admittedly i'm a course plasterer, albeit a 4 week one, but i didn't even get things that wrong during my first week!

sorry tm no offence intended regarding the sweeping statement about course plasterers!

its the buggers who leave people in a mess, taking no care or pride in their work, maximum profit for as little effort as possible....and who carry a ream of sandpaper as a standard part of their kit :rolleyes:

as roughcaster said tm your advice is spot on ;) keep up the good work.

its the b*****r who leave people in a mess, taking no care or pride in their work, maximum profit for as little effort as possible....and who carry a ream of sandpaper as a standard part of their kit

To bl00dy right there.

THANKS guys! really means a lot to hear that.

i'm loving the trade, still suffer from a lack of confidence from time to time but it gets better with each job :) and this forum and you guys have been an invaluable source of help and information!

need an emoticon of a yellow man drying his eyes on a tissue :D

Rather late looking at this one but I think the other replies have said it all; it don’t look good, ask for your money back.

TM; you seem to be, sort of, where I was about 5 years ago. Out of necessity at the time, I just picked it up, learned on the hoof & by pestering others & then just drifted into it along with the other stuff I also do now; more surprising is that it bears no comparison to what I did in my previous life. I never had the benefit of an intensive course but I do believe it’s something you either have a natural understanding & affinity for & can do it well or will make a complete pigs ear of for ever no matter how much practice you have; keep it up as there are too many bodgers out there.

shocking that is!

I was a 'course plasterer' too (and only a 1 week one!), an amateur also and I would agree that is a poor finish.
Sorry to see that littlestreatham :(
I'm sure the wealth of experience from the pros here can help out rescue the situation. Fear not! ;)

In the seventies, early eighties, there was a government scheme where people could enrol onto a 6 month course to learn a trade. At the time, building firms were obliged to employ so many of these "6 monthers" as they were called. Many were a waste of time, and got little respect from the "hard line old timers" but others went on to become decent tradesmen. Nobody knows what they can do until they try, the main thing is having total interest and dedication in what you're doing, and doing it to the best of your ability, always aiming higher. Where it goes from there,, who knows.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back