1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bungalow external wall removal/support question

Discussion in 'Building' started by Swell1, 29 Aug 2021.

1. Swell1

Swell1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, we plan to remove a small window and external door and replace with one window. It's a bungalow and the external brick goes to the facia and the internal brick goes 2 layers higher and the loft joists/roof sits on this.

I'm asking on here to understand myself but I've got builders quoting this week.

Am I right in thinking that the way this would be propped up would be to remove bricks from the internal top layer and support the joists/roof (with the support beam coming out from the roof tiles outside) then fit the lintel and then brick on the lintel internally up to the roof/joists beam and once all set remove the props?

Again I'm just asking so I have an understanding when speaking with the builders. Thanks in advance

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You're overthinking it a bit.
    Usual deal is support the roof joists internally (acros and a spreader), externally chase out just above top height of lintel, use acros and strong boys to take the load. Friction between bricks and mortar will usually hold a few courses up as long as you don't start smacking them with a big hammer.
    Insert lintel, pack up to brickwork, point. BCO usually likes to check the job at this stage (by the way, your builders should mention building regs, they'll sometimes ask you if you want to do the Notice yourself).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Swell1

Swell1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ahh thank you, I didn't realise the brick above should hold if removed carefully. And thanks re the tip for building control, I assume this is required and they will check its all correct. I'll make some calls tmrw. Thank you