Bungalow 'ringing' after fibre installed in street

440Hz - could be a Switch Mode PSU in the street furniture serving the Fibre installation. That SM PSU is probably on the same phase as your house.

440Hz is waaaay too low for a SMPSU. They operate in the KHz range - around 40kHz being a common switching frequency.

Sponsored Links
440Hz is waaaay too low for a SMPSU. They operate in the KHz range - around 40kHz being a common switching frequency.
Ok, thanks. Ref SMPS power supply, apparently EMI/RFI can be produced due to the current being switched on and off sharply. Therefore, EMI filters and RF shielding are needed to reduce the disruptive interference.

The main ringing is about 440hz, and the loud fizzling in my head is about the 14,900hz sound.
Do people other than you hear this ringing and fizzling?

14,900 Hz is close to the top of the range of hearing for middle-aged humans, and would probably not be audible for most people opver about 50.

Kind Regards,John

Sponsored Links
my boiler can spike RFs, almost like it is picking something extra up
Literally any electrical equipment turning on/off can cause a detectable pulse of RF noise, even if it's not faulty. So, unfortunately, being able to detect it doesn't tell you anything beyond "something electrical went on or off".

I had a problem with daughter getting headaches due to LED lighting. Changed make of bulb and it seemed to have stopped it, but since it does not affect me, hard to work it out.

If sound some thing must make it, if light some thing must make it, so step one with electric turned off do you have a problem? It does not matter if there is a 400 Hz in the street, it needs to be in your house.

There are things which can produce sound waves even if not within human hearing, and can also transmit RF, although I personally have never had a problem with RF on my body, however although a switched mode power supply may be in kHz range, the harmonics may not be.

I have read, and often ignored warnings on lighting transformers that the extra low voltage wires are limited in length, and I have seen LED bulbs marked 50 Hz, which seem to work OK with a kHz electronic lighting transformer, as to why marked 50 Hz I have guessed because many electronic transformers have a minimum output where toroidal transformer has no minimum output, however there may be other reasons including causing the combination to transmit.

I know my house 2019 was mainly tungsten (left by previous owner) and now mainly LED, there are some CFL but all has happened in the last 5 years, I still have a stock of tungsten bulbs, I really should bin them, but so much has changed in the last 5 years, my fridge/freezer and freezer is three phase powered from an inverter, my washing machine the same. The tumble drier is a heat pump, not a clue on frequency of my induction hob.

So only way to work out what is to switch items off.

I have read, and often ignored warnings on lighting transformers that the extra low voltage wires are limited in length,...
I don't know,but I suspect that those warnings may well be 'required', and that they probably exist to limit the potential radiation of 'interference'.

Electrics? I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I am trying to get back to living in my (80's built) bungalow but it is 'ringing' and I am not able to get any sleep there now or spend any length of time in it without hearing the ringing after a while.

This started since Fibre street equipment was installed in the street, (and there is a mini cell on the corner of the road which went in around 8 years ago). I don't have fibre or Smart anything and my wifi is on ethernet, but I am at my wits end now and I just want to know if it could be worth ruling out any of the electrical wiring that could be picking up stray RF's or EMF's because since this, something is making me feel sick, agitated and making me feel like I am on high alert all the time, my eyesight and heart and ears are also seemingly affected when I am there and there is now a strange fizzling sensation in my head along with the not sleeping.
You wrote
"This started since Fibre (sic) street equipment was installed in the street, (and there is a mini cell on the corner of the road which went in around 8 years ago)."
So for 8 years you have "put up with this" and you are asking now!

What happens if you stand next to the "mini cell" - whatever that is ?

One hopes that you do realize that "Fiber" uses Light and no electricity is used in Fiber Optic Cables.
The only "electricity" used is at the Start and Finish of the Fiber Optic Cable, where the digital Electrical Pulses are converted to Light Pulses, and vice versa.

One hopes that you do realize that "Fiber" uses Light and no electricity is used in Fiber Optic Cables.
Whilst technically correct, unfortunately there is another idiomatic language problem here. Some time ago, the powers that be in the UK decided that marketing copper-based broadband services as "fibre" is completely acceptable. So the OP is in all likelihood talking about a cabinet that carries copper connections to the properties [and is coincidentally fed with fibre].

I have read, and often ignored warnings on lighting transformers that the extra low voltage wires are limited in length,
tension lights.jpg

These lights are no problem when the supply is ELV 50Hz from a wound transformer.

The problem arises when a switch mode ELV supply is used, The RF radiation is high enough to affect radio comms a mile away.

A sea side picture gallery "up graded" to dimmable ELV supply, marine radio comms were affected when the light were lit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back