Burials/Cremations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has just had a call from a friend who's mother is dying of cancer.
Her friend spoke to an undertaker this morning and was asked where would she like her mother to be laid to rest. As there is a cemetery next door to her mothers she naturally chose there, however, the undertaker said no it's not possible. You can't choose where or when to do it unless it's on an approved list and subject to the available dates.
The list did not have any local places and the nearest date was the middle of May!

Is anyone aware of this?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I was very upset that the funeral had to be wait-listed and was held at a different crematorium in a different town, on a date when a slot became free. Also that no mourners were allowed (I think I heard Hancock saying that this was not acceptable so maybe it will change). We were not even allowed into the grounds.

the person had a pre-paid funeral but the undertakers were not able to take her and the arrangements were transferred to another firm.

As you may know, the number of Coronavirus deaths published shows only those which were (1) diagnosed and (2) occurred in hospital.

There has been a great increase in deaths at home and, especially, in care homes, and the funeral system is overwhelmed.

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2Fc56b40a0-8644-11ea-935f-b9767253b80e-standard.png

https://www.ft.com/content/86d9807e-2a47-47b2-8dff-8ab50b16e036

Not that i want to sound like a bitter n twisted moaner like some people on here, but Funeral directors really get my goat. Our local funeral director.. omg i know this first hand that they organise tea and cake parties for the elderly, it's all about keeping them sweet so when they snuff it first thing comes to mind in their circles is them. They're ruthless w'nkers who massively overcharge. The owner whips around here in a Q7 or a top of the range Tesla Model S. They're so all about latching onto dying people it's unreal. I bet he's spot welding his trousers daily at the moment with covid in full effect at elderly care homes.

Sponsored Links
some abusive posts have been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has just had a call from a friend who's mother is dying of cancer.
Her friend spoke to an undertaker this morning and was asked where would she like her mother to be laid to rest. As there is a cemetery next door to her mothers she naturally chose there, however, the undertaker said no it's not possible. You can't choose where or when to do it unless it's on an approved list and subject to the available dates.
The list did not have any local places and the nearest date was the middle of May!

Is anyone aware of this?
My dad down in Cornwall had a 5 week waiting list and that was before all this kicked off. I think January is a traditionally busy time and tbh, at the moment, middle of May sounds pretty reasonable.
I don't get this approved list thing - what's that about please?

I've no idea what the 'approved list' is about either. Surely standards aren't different at different locations and a hears can be driven to any burial place within reason.
The waiting time I can understand to a degree, especially in burials where the ground has to be prepared, even cremations where the process takes a few hours. But surely not weeks, or in some cases, months?

If they can do, say, seventeen operations per day, and there is a waitlist of, say, two hundred, with new customers occurring at the rate of thirty a day, the wait list will get long.

I've no idea what the 'approved list' is about either. Surely standards aren't different at different locations and a hears can be driven to any burial place within reason.
The waiting time I can understand to a degree, especially in burials where the ground has to be prepared, even cremations where the process takes a few hours. But surely not weeks, or in some cases, months?
Weird, I shall go google and see if can find out this approved thingie.

I don't think mid May is that bad tbh, that's only 3 weeks. They are busy busy. I think all funerals are going to be stripped down now, I don't even know if there's any florists open. It's really an extra kick in the teeth now for those who have lost loved ones but it can't be helped imo.

bet he's spot welding his trousers daily at the moment
Lol.....What does that mean..Seriously..never heard that expression and cannot figure its meaning....I asked our local undertaker for the cost of the cheapest cheepo funeral..£2.5k....I cannot for the freekin life of me figure why so expensive apart from being shafted...Ffs..pick a body up..stick it in a cardbox..burn then chuck the bits in a tin...how the fek is that £2.5k?

.I cannot for the freekin life of me figure why so expensive apart from being shafted
Just because they can. Got us over a barrel haven't they?
What got me is when dad died, about a week after the funeral I ended up getting what I class as junk mail. Inviting me to get dad in a book of remembrance, to buy special plaques, plants, turn ashes into jewels etc, all at a very inflated cost. Binned it. I know that some people take comfort in this stuff, but I can't help but feel that the timing and the huge pack of sales stuff sent is a way of getting people to part with loads more money when they're not thinking straight and are very emotional.

Lol.....What does that mean..Seriously..never heard that expression and cannot figure its meaning....I asked our local undertaker for the cost of the cheapest cheepo funeral..£2.5k....I cannot for the freekin life of me figure why so expensive apart from being shafted...Ffs..pick a body up..stick it in a cardbox..burn then chuck the bits in a tin...how the fek is that £2.5k?
We just sorted out FILs funeral and the invoice included doctors fees, crem fees, newspaper ad, funeral tea, church fees and their fees of course, from start to finish they were extremely professional and helpful, well worth it IMHO

We just sorted out FILs funeral and the invoice included doctors fees, crem fees, newspaper ad, funeral tea, church fees and their fees of course, from start to finish they were extremely professional and helpful, well worth it IMHO
Agreed.
Same as those who chose to spend days of their time separately booking the bits of their week in mallorca to save a few hundred quid, rather than book the package as one.

Sponsored Links
Back