burst radiator, cant turn it off! (starting to drown!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and help!

Its sunday, so plumber would cost me the earth... just found the radiator in the hall split and water gushing out of a pin hole.

Tried to isolate the radiator buy turning off both valves clockwise but one wont budge and the other one's plastic covering will not move either.

I've found the c/h header tank tap and have turned that off. (will that stop any fresh water filling up the system?)

Should i try to rip off the plastic cover on the right of the radiator to see if i can turn the valve or should i just wait it out for the system to drain and then sort it out in the week with a recommended plumber type?!?

any info / help / advice would be welcome, was hoping to spend sunday in the pub not filling up buckets!

Sponsored Links
Should i try to rip off the plastic cover on the right of the radiator to see if i can turn the valve

yes

also get a very small adjustable spanner on the flats of the other spindle (take the plastic knob off first) if the knob won't turn.

changing rads and rad valves is a fairly easy DIY plumbing job

I've found the c/h header tank tap and have turned that off. (will that stop any fresh water filling up the system?)
yes if you have done the right valve. it is more common to tie up the float as many F&E tanks don't have a handy valve. you can also get a conical rubber bung to stuff in the pipe at the plumbing counter, but it's a bit late for you. You MUST turn off the boiler until the system is refilled with water

If you were in our local area and I was not busy then I would just charge £10 more than our usual diagnostic chareg.

I would hope to turn off the rad valves. You have to get both off!

Certainly force off the plastic knob and try using an adjustable spanner and try using a wrench on the jammed one but FIRST loosen the gland nut. It might snap off the shaft.

It sounds as if your system is in poor condition and has never been serviced or maintained.

Perhaps you should spend more on your heating system and less in the pub?

Tony

lesson learnt, giving up beer this month!

cheers for quick replies, have turned both valves and the pressure of the leak is dropping rapidly :) no need for snorkels and flippers!

am i right in thinking that now I've isolated the radiator, i can turn the c/h header tap back to open and use the c/h again? or is it safer to leave it off?

and your right on the state of the plumbing, only just bought the place so am looking to do a complete rebuild, the radiators are all about 20 years old.

cheers

Sponsored Links
make sure the header tank has about 100 mm minimum of water in it and then try to fire up the heating whilst monitoring the boiler.

It may be necessary to bleed the pump screw. See the FAQ on this site for details.

Tony

am i right in thinking that now I've isolated the radiator, i can turn the c/h header tap back to open and use the c/h again?
yes

when you have replaced the radiator and valves (and any others that are jammed) this is a good time to give the system a chemical clean. It is quite easy, you add a litre of Sentinel X400 which will cost you £15 and run the heating system for 4 weeks before draining out the loosened sediment, rinsing and refilling with X100 or another inhibitor.

rusty radiators are a sign of neglect and corrosion, there may be more work needed, but that is a good start to your DIY plumbing career.

make sure the header tank has about 100 mm minimum of water in it and then try to fire up the heating whilst monitoring the boiler.

so this is showing me to be a complete diy novice: all i can find in flat is 1 water tank that feeds to the boiler / storage tank. coming out of the water tank is a c/h header tank pipe with a stop tap. the boiler dosent have any displays on, it just makes the occasional noise!

do i just turn the c/h header tank tap back to on and keep fingers and toes crossed?

its a potterton tattler boiler.

did what you all said to do and so far (fingers crossed) flat is nice and warm and the burst radiator has been drained.

do you advise that its best to put a new radiator in as soon as possible or would turning off both valves isolate it safely for now?

cheers for all help yesterday :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back