Radiator lukewarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our oil central heating system has eight radiators, but the radiator in the hall only ever heats up slightly.
A plumber suggested to turn off all the radiators except the hall one and when the hall radiator heats up to turn on all the other radiators, but when i turn off the radiators do i need to turn off both the valves on all the radiators?

Sponsored Links
No, only one needs turning off on each radiator to stop the water flow though it. If things do improve, it's likely that when you turn the others back on you will revert to the status quo.

Have you tried balancing the radiators? see the wiki or FAQ's for more information.

I tried turning all the radiators off except the one in the hall and it heated up v warm so i turned all the other radiators back on and the hall one is lukewarm again so what i have done now is turned the radiator in the bedroom above the hall off and the hall radiator heats up again, so i will turn the bedroom radiator back on again soon but only open the valves one turn at a time to see what happens.
What this space :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Well i turned the bedroom radiator back on by half a turn and the hall radiator is a bad as ever.
Anything else i could try?

I read how to balance heating system in the FAQ and followed all the instructions, the heat output is now fantastic on all the radiators ,another result from DIY, thanks to everyone who offered help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back