Burst water pipe and insurance claim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed...

Flexi pipe burst under the bath last weekend flooding the kitchen, came home to find hot water pouring thru kitchen ceiling.
called emergency plumber out who capped the offending pipe off. Loss adjustor came out last night to assess the damage and has basially said that the repair o the pipe is down to me but... my bath has taps in the middle at the back and cant be reached without taking the whole bath out, had a plumber out this morning to have a look, he is going to take the frame off round the bath and see if he can get round the back (I doubt it)now obviously this isnt going to be an easy job.
My question is,,,anyone offer any advice as to whether i have any other options as taking bath out will damage tiles etc.. and make it a costly job, the way i understood it was that im responsible for the whole of the cost in removing the bath and the repair of the pipe.
Sorry i hope this all makes sense, i'm at the end of my tether at the mo....

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on what the insurance covers - you'll have to trawl throught the fine print yourself I'm afraid.

Like your plumber said, it may be possible to get round the back of the bath without removal. Depends on the style of bath - some do and some don't allow it.

Removal of the bath is likely to lead to some of the tiles breaking - the hard bit is trying to work out which tiles are covering the metal brackets that attach the bath to the wall. Again, it depends on how the bath has been put in.

Without seeing it first hand, I doubt that anyone will be able to provide you with a definitive answer. Sorry. :cry:

Sponsored Links
ive done it before

and i meant STUD wall

fookin nit picker
ok-wink.gif

Unlike some I could mention, I decided not to rise to the bait of your typo :)

I was considering the relative cost effectiveness of making an opening in a brick wall (either internal or external) to gain access to the taps in this situation. If the tiles are expensive and/or no longer available, then maybe, just maybe.... :idea:

Back of the bath is on the outside wall, another option the plumber had was to come up thru the kitchen ceiling (the ceiling is gonna be replace/repaired anyway) cut thru the floorboards and gain access to the taps/pipes that way...

Back of the bath is on the outside wall, another option the plumber had was to come up thru the kitchen ceiling (the ceiling is gonna be replace/repaired anyway) cut thru the floorboards and gain access to the taps/pipes that way...
There's hope then after all. Hoorah. :D

There's hope then after all. Hoorah. :D
Lets hope he's got long arms! Would be interested to know how this one goes. :)

If you have a burst pipe, the first thing you need to do is turn off the water at the mains by shutting off the main part .

Don't turn the water off, do it like a man and do it live!!!

It's so much more fun, you might get a bit wet though. :mrgreen:

Andy

I know this doesn't help, but I posted, last year, reference the logicality of fitting bath taps in this fashion (and indeed it is the fashion!)

I thought it was a requirement that all pipes etc. are accesible.

It seems that my misgivings were well founded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back