Burying cable in brick pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretical question... if I wanted to have an outside downlight mounted on the side of a brick pillar in the garden, but I didn't want any visible cable, could I chase out the mortar between the bricks to say 25mm, run the cable in the gap and then repoint to hide the cable? The voltage would be 230v...

Sponsored Links
The best thing would be to run the cable (SWA) and the pillar built around it.

It's very likely the cable would be run in such a zig zag fashion to follow the pointing that no one would have a clue where it was and so could easily be drilled through in the future.

MICC or pyro cable is about the only cable you could use, and it's not really DIY.

Is the pillar hollow? If so, you could fish a cable through the pillar.

If possible, send pictures of the pillar, and we may come up with some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Easiest option is probably to drill a hole at an angle from the light to the post?

I doubt you'll terminate SWA in the light fitting, so terminate that in a wiska box or similar at the post, then run 3183TRS to the light fitting

Wouldn't the light work if mounted in this area?

upload_2018-7-13_11-9-18.png

Surely what we can see of the bricks in the photo rather suggests that it is.

upload_2018-7-14_12-31-13.png

Or, at least, could be - the builders may have filled the cavity with discarded mortar, Ginsters Pasty wrappers and fag ends.

The top layer of bricks are headers-on-side, at least from one side of the pillar. That suggests that the potential central cavity has probably been filled, otherwise the middle ones in that top layer would not be very well supported - at least until the top slab was put on. The OP may know the answer.

Less work and materials, Shirley, to cut some of the bricks for the half-soldier course where necessary than fill the cavity all the way up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back