Burying cold water in under screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to an extension the cold water into the house comes up in the middle of the kitchen floor. This was done in a previous extension, now uncovered for the further extension. The water in was extended to wall in copper (I think there might have been a bit of plastic pipe of that). This was buried in the screed and tiled over. Where the blue water pipe covers up is a bit of soil pipe (110mm) around it.

I want to replace this and take it further. I plan to use 22mm pex pipe joined to blue pipe. I'm thinking 25mm flex conduit around the pex so I can have bends, i.e. only one joint. How deep do I need to go with this? Screed is ~50mm so I'd have about 25mm over the conduit. I wonder if I should groove the slab (15mm?) so I get more depth of screed> Maybe add fibres to screed?. I also plan to cut the screed back so as to have say a 150mm wide section I'm re-screeding with the pipe in the middle. Effectively forming a bridge over the conduit (I'm expecting the conduit to flex so load above it needs to transfer to either side.

Comments?

Not sure what to cover over the soil pipe end where the blue water pipe exits.

I did think about letting in some chipboard floor (supporting 50mm each side with screed), but I'm going to tile over it in the end any way so if there are problems then digging out screed is less of an issue than taking up tiles and repairing. Also screed to chipboard (or OSB3) sounds likely to move so an issue for tiling over.

Sponsored Links
Another thought, would I be better extending the MDPE pipe? I could bury that in the screed/slab. I could put the joint the soil pipe. That might make it easier to to block that with a concrete plug.

Maybe stainless steel screws through the soil pipe so the concrete has something to hang on to. Could also open the top too so it wider. Polystyrene as lowest layer for insulation and the blue plastic for DPM coming up the side of the soil pipe.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back