Burying fiber in flexible conduit from house to garage

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello, I am burying a fiber optic cable so I have internet in my garage. I have purchased the following flexible conduit to run the fiber optic cable inside:

Diameter of the Kabuflex 40 mm.
*Inner diameter: 32 mm.

I have dug a 20m trench 60cm deep. What I need advice on is the transition from inside to outside. I don't want to drill a hole in the external wall large enough to feed to conduit through. I assume I need a junction box and adapter on the outside of the wall that the conduit connects with?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hope your fibre is ready terminated (or you have the kit and skills to do it).
Be very wary of minimum bend radius on the fibre.
Ideal way would be to run the duct under or through the house wall (at trench level) then either gentle curve to vertical or gentle uphill to subfloor.
If you can't achieve that then yes, gentle curve up to vertical, nice IP65 adaptable box big enough to house your fibre-copper interface and then throw cat 5e or cat6 through the wall.
Drilling a 16 or 20mm hole through a brick or brick/block cavity wall is a 5 minute job with an SDS and a long bit, again you'd have to watch minimum bend on the fibre going through the wall but totally doable and a much easier/better job than trying to fish wire through a 6 or 8mm hole.

Hope your fibre is ready terminated (or you have the kit and skills to do it).
Be very wary of minimum bend radius on the fibre.
Ideal way would be to run the duct under or through the house wall (at trench level) then either gentle curve to vertical or gentle uphill to subfloor.
If you can't achieve that then yes, gentle curve up to vertical, nice IP65 adaptable box big enough to house your fibre-copper interface and then throw cat 5e or cat6 through the wall.
Drilling a 16 or 20mm hole through a brick or brick/block cavity wall is a 5 minute job with an SDS and a long bit, again you'd have to watch minimum bend on the fibre going through the wall but totally doable and a much easier/better job than trying to fish wire through a 6 or 8mm hole.
If it's at some kind of ruggedised 2 core patchlead rather than chunky armoured 24 core the bend radius available to you in an IP box isn't so small you couldn't spiral round and take it straight through the wall, what sort of cable were you looking to put in?

Do I understand that you are having a "separate' to your house fibre feed to your garage? Seems an expensive way to go. Why don't you run a length of Cat5 or from your in-house router?

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am burying a fiber optic cable so I have internet in my garage.
Do you really need a fibreoptic cable to achieve that - it's something I've never heard of anyone doing within domestic premises.

Your life would be very much simpler (and your wallet happier!) if you used conventional copper Ethernet cable, and even simpler if (distance permitting) you used WiFi.

Kind Regards, John

Do you really need a fibreoptic cable to achieve that - it's something I've never heard of anyone doing within domestic premises.

Your life would be very much simpler (and your wallet happier!) if you used conventional copper Ethernet cable, and even simpler if (distance permitting) you used WiFi.

Kind Regards, John
Only two realistic reasons to do it are bandwidth (10G or higher) and/or distance.
Fibre isn't ruinously expensive though, about £60 for a pair of optical transceivers and about £50-60 for a outdoor rated armoured patchlead.

Only two realistic reasons to do it are bandwidth (10G or higher) and/or distance.
Indeed, but ...
Fibre isn't ruinously expensive though, about £60 for a pair of optical transceivers and about £50-60 for a outdoor rated armoured patchlead.
... maybe not "ruinously expensive' but, as I said, I personally have not heard of anyone doing it within a domestic property. Do I not 'get out enough' ? :)

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John
There is the other big advantage of immunity from any issues with differing earth potential at either end of the link. Not an issue i've ever experienced with network cable tbh but have had problems with audio links in the past.

There is the other big advantage of immunity from any issues with differing earth potential at either end of the link. Not an issue i've ever experienced with network cable tbh but have had problems with audio links in the past.
One might hope that the network cable would be isolated from earth.

Kind Regards, John

Do I understand that you are having a "separate' to your house fibre feed to your garage? Seems an expensive way to go. Why don't you run a length of Cat5 or from your in-house router?
No, I'll run fiber from the switch in my house to the switch in my garage. Both switches have SFP ports and I have SFP modules. The fiber cable is pre terminated 100m LC-LC.

The reason I didn't want to use ethernet is because I read there are risks to the equipment if lightning strikes nearby. Some in networking forums strongly recommended using fiber when going from building to building.

The reason I didn't want to use ethernet is because I read there are risks to the equipment if lightning strikes nearby. Some in networking forums strongly recommended using fiber when going from building to building.
I suppose that's a theoretical risk, but presumably no greater than the corresponding risk in relation to (copper) landline cables (particularly overhead ones) and TV aerial cables etc.?

Kind Regards, John

No, I'll run fiber from the switch in my house to the switch in my garage. Both switches have SFP ports and I have SFP modules. The fiber cable is pre terminated 100m LC-LC.

Yes. I have strung longish lengths of cat5 outdoors/between buildings and crossed my fingers if the thunderclouds started appearing. That's not a ridiculous price for a high bandwidth noise-immune link, as earlier do be careful with the bend radius on the fibre.

I suppose that's a theoretical risk, but presumably no greater than the corresponding risk in relation to (copper) landline cables (particularly overhead ones) and TV aerial cables etc.?

Kind Regards, John
The value of connected gear and consequential losses (data especially) might make that risk worth mitigating.

Kind Regards, John
I will have a access point connected to my switch via ethernet quite close to the garage. Could I also use such an access point as a WiFi extender and install another access point in the garage to provide good WiFi coverage to the garage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back