Burying fiber in flexible conduit from house to garage

ITYM "use an access point as an access point" - if it's plugged in to the switch then it's just an AP.

Sponsored Links
ITYM "use an access point as an access point" - if it's plugged in to the switch then it's just an AP.
Hopefully the WiFi internet speed next to the access point will be the same as devices plugged in to the switch. The speed at the garage will be much lower. If I place another access point in the garage that isn't connected to anything, can it communicate with the first access point and extend the WiFi? Or do access points not provide this function and I'd also need a WiFi extender? Or perhaps it's not really possible to extend the WiFi much further than the first connected access point?

PS Dont know why you're buying 100m, the 50m is only €36, you might even get away with the 30m :)

PS Dont know why you're buying 100m, the 50m is only €36, you might even get away with the 30m :)
Going from switch to switch was more like 50m, however to be safe I wanted 75m. But the 100m cable was only a little bit extra. The price jump at the time was 50m to 75m.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hopefully the WiFi internet speed next to the access point will be the same as devices plugged in to the switch. The speed at the garage will be much lower. If I place another access point in the garage that isn't connected to anything, can it communicate with the first access point and extend the WiFi? Or do access points not provide this function and I'd also need a WiFi extender? Or perhaps it's not really possible to extend the WiFi much further than the first connected access point?
Yes you can do all that with Wifi, here's the link to a quite impressive (in terms of range) extender i bought a while ago. Here ya go . As long as you aren't using several high-bandwidth clients (so no 3-way CoD parties in the garage) it'll do fine. It gets power via PoE (theres an adaptor in the box), you can use it as a wifi repeater but cable is always more consistent.

Sorry, I assumed as you were running fibre to the garage, then any AP in the garage would be plugged in.
Yes, you can get APs that mesh and can extend a network wirelessly, but it will never be as fast as APs that are wired in.

Sorry, I assumed as you were running fibre to the garage, then any AP in the garage would be plugged in.
Yes, you can get APs that mesh and can extend a network wirelessly, but it will never be as fast as APs that are wired in.
Yeah the was the original idea, but I'm also trying to get an understanding of a wireless solution and if that would satisfy my needs.

Yes you can do all that with Wifi, here's the link to a quite impressive (in terms of range) extender i bought a while ago. Here ya go . As long as you aren't using several high-bandwidth clients (so no 3-way CoD parties in the garage) it'll do fine. It gets power via PoE (theres an adaptor in the box), you can use it as a wifi repeater but cable is always more consistent.
Ok interesting. I'm already planning on running Ethernet from my switch to an access point at the rear of my property which is quite close to my garage. This ensures I'll have some WiFi near my garage without the fiber solution. If I can also extend that so I get better WiFi in the garage, that could be acceptable .

One might hope that the network cable would be isolated from earth.

Kind Regards, John
Yeah, (normally) a transformer at each end to meet isolation and noise requirements, doesn't protect from lightning though which brings me to ...
The value of connected gear and consequential losses (data especially) might make that risk worth mitigating.
I've lost (parts of) an ethernet switch to lightning damage related to some of the cabling routes, still mostly worked apart from blocks of some ports across a 48 port device, no damage beyond that device but lightning damage can be a slightly strange and unpredictable beast of course

Yeah, (normally) a transformer at each end to meet isolation and noise requirements, doesn't protect from lightning though which brings me to ...

I've lost (parts of) an ethernet switch to lightning damage related to some of the cabling routes, still mostly worked apart from blocks of some ports across a 48 port device, no damage beyond that device but lightning damage can be a slightly strange and unpredictable beast of course
Yeah I think if I'm going to bury a cable, why not do fiber over Ethernet. The cost difference isn't much and I know to be careful with the pre terminated cable.

Yeah the was the original idea, but I'm also trying to get an understanding of a wireless solution and if that would satisfy my needs.

Ok interesting. I'm already planning on running Ethernet from my switch to an access point at the rear of my property which is quite close to my garage. This ensures I'll have some WiFi near my garage without the fiber solution. If I can also extend that so I get better WiFi in the garage, that could be acceptable .
There are also point-to-point bridging wireless setups which are good for extending to another building, you then use a switch and an access AP/switch to distribute the network from that point. 450Mps for around 100 quid, more bandwidth for more. Quite a wide beam angle on the smaller units so not too tricky to align.

The value of connected gear and consequential losses (data especially) might make that risk worth mitigating.
I suppose that depends upon one's attitude to risk. As I implied, there must still be millions of people who have 'connected gear' of the same value, which are also custodians of the same data (albeit it should be backed up 'elsewhere'!) which is connected to (often partially overhead) copper telephone cables.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but, as I keep asking, how does the situation we are discussing differ from having one's internet connection provided via a (quite possibly overhead) copper BT line? ... particularly given that my understanding is that the OP intends to bury the cable.

Kind Regards, John

That's one thing we don't really know - what are your 'needs' (in terms of performance of the Internet connection)?

Kind Regards, John

Maybe I've been lucky, but my experience is that standard WiFi kit has pretty good (reliable) range 'in free air' (i.e. no walls etc. With an AP mounted external to my house, I get a perfectly good WiFi connection at an outhouse about 50m away.

Kind Regards, John

That's one thing we don't really know - what are your 'needs' (in terms of performance of the Internet connection)?

Kind Regards, John
The garage will have some cameras that should be connected to the network. Also a TV used to stream Netflix etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back