Burying fiber in flexible conduit from house to garage

As a coincidence to this topic, last week an overhead lightening flash took out the two switches at each end of my 20m ethernet cable that runs length my garden.
Taking the switches appart found that some micro caps had failed and the IC had some internal damage (internal short determined by it getting very hot).
Rest of system all okay.
Considered changing to fibre (about £80 from Amazon) but instead as did not want to drill new holes in walls got two new switches and all back and running again.

BAck on topic, if you are digging trench to put in fibre or ethernet, put in an extra length of fibre or ethernet or both. Then you have redundancy or even a test channel if one fails.

I also like switches that have LEDs that show if ethernet is live and what data rate it is at. Makes diagnosis much quicker.

sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. That doesn't sound excessively demanding in terms of connection speed.

Kind Regards, John
Yeah I just tested the speed I get in the garage with just a Ethernet connected access point next to the back door, and it was over 20+ Mbit. Considering the bandwidth requirement in the house is low as we are only 2 people, I think it is sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back