Busbar Protection Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two brand new Hager CU's which I've had now for a few months which were given to me as they were left behind after some big job about a year ago.

Anyhow, I want to use one and even though they came with no busbar, I have a busbar that will fit the bill.

Is it a must to have a protection cover for the busbar and if so how or where can I get one.

Asked my local wholesaler, but the guy said they had no covers and not to worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Your wholesaler is a fool. Do they think Manufacturers would add a cover if you can get by without one.
There is a requirement for protection from direct contact.

If you are unable to obtain one through the usual channels you will find PVC profiles as supplied by most sheds, will fit the bill.

Cheers for that.

A profile that slides over the busbar would do the job.

It's like most places now-a-days, the folk behind the counter don't know much and their only purpose is to get the stuff and work the till.

If your leaving any tabs on the busbar that are not connected to a breaker I have found red insulation from a 16mm cable, ideal for protection. Leave the insulation long though.

Sponsored Links
I've got a few metres of 16mm laying about so I will do just that.

Or you might find if you ring the manufacturer they will send you a couple free or at nominal cost. I got some terminal covers off Wylex like that.

Your wholesaler is a fool. Do they think Manufacturers would add a cover if you can get by without one.
There is a requirement for protection from direct contact.

The regs state (412-01-01) (ii) Protection by barrier or an enclosure.

I would read that the DB enclosure is acceptable a protection against direct contact.

And the whole of section 412-01-01 and 412-03-01 would agree with this.

i belive however that CUs are supposed to be safe to take the lid off whilst powered on to allow for testing etc.

I was told during a licencing inspection (theatre premises) that the boards could have exposed live parts under the cover, that you might touch when you were testing or connecting or fitting new MCBs, provided that there was an isolating switch to make them safe.

The only parts in the CUs that failed this (on submains remote from main switches) were the incoming terminals and their screws, hence I was required to obtain and fit new entry terminal covers, which Wylex kindly sent me FOC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back