New busbar for split-load consumer unit converted to all RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers!

I just moved in and I needed additional breakers in the Hager Consumer unit (VECOS33-6H), but there was no space and no way to replace the unit with a larger one.

Since it's a split unit, I freed up space for additional breakers by replacing the existing ones with RCBOs and removing the RCCB. However, the split unit used two small busbar so these needed replacing with one long one. I picked up a long BG busbar from Screwfix and cut it to size. I thought they're probably standard sizes, but the bottom part of the bar is too tall for the clips that hold it in place. And since I can't use the clips, currently it's only held in place by the breakers themselves, which is not ideal (See pictures).

I think the only solution is that I need to find a 9 way busbar whose bottom part is approximately 12.25mm and is rated for 100A. Google has so far given me a few results for busbars, but there are no dimensions included. Hager doesn't produce these flat types of busbars anymore and googling the model number didn't yield any results.

I prefer not to order a bunch of busbars hoping that one of them fits. Any ideas?

Options I found (but without dimensions stated):
- Ebay: 100A Copper Busbar for Domestic Consumer Unit Busbar Boards 10 Module 8 MCB Ways
- Tradesparky: CIRC H5590S Busbar 21 Way
- CEF: Contactum 8 Way Pin Type Busbar
- Fastlec: 100A 10 MCB Ways Spare Busbar For Consumer Units
- CEF: Legrand 21 Prong Spare Busbar Unit

Disclaimer: I just moved in, not very happy with the location with the consumer unit nor the cabling situation. BG electrics RCBO will be replaced with a Hager equivalent soon. Large Type B RCBO is needed for solar panels. It's a work in progress but has already improved a lot.

Attachments

• JLE_20230328_212902_10Tp JOLE 84FS.jpg
    JLE_20230328_212902_10Tp JOLE 84FS.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 314
  • JLE_20230317_172109_10Tp JOLE 84FS.jpg
    JLE_20230317_172109_10Tp JOLE 84FS.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20230330_201101.jpg
    IMG_20230330_201101.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 238
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Oooooh he does quote the regs
If that is directed at me, then I think you must have completely missed my point, which had nothing to do with regs or technical 'definitions'.

Just in terms of everyday usage of the words, "qualified" and "competent" are two totally different things. There are plenty of people without any 'qualifications' (like a good few of the regulars here) who I would say are very competent but, unfortunately, on the other hand, there are a good few with 'qualifications' who are seriously lacking in competence (particularly when their 'qualifications' were obtained in days or weeks).

Kind Regards, John

..., on the other hand, there are a good few with 'qualifications' who are seriously lacking in competence (particularly when their 'qualifications' were obtained in days or weeks).

Kind Regards, John
You mean like the ex squaddie I spoke with recently who did a 6 day course:mad:o_O:rolleyes:

Get a new consumer unit..and are you qualified to be doing this
I agree with that but I also agree with JohnW2 that the work be carried out by a competent person.

A genuinely competent person would not leave exposed tinned copper Neutral conductor

1680258212882.png

When I saw the OP last night, I knew the thread was going to end up like this :LOL:
Yes, I fear it became inevitable once the OP's 'qualifications' were questioned. However, it will probably get worse, since I don't think anyone has yet mentioned "type tested", nor the notification requirement which would be invoked if the OP followed the advice in the post which questioned his 'qualifications' !

Kind Regards, John

If you are going to lash it up then just buy some 2mm bar and cut your own . We make busbars for our 12v /24/48v data loggers, mostly for battery/solar installs in remote locations. Fret saw and cutters or a dremel.

I agree with that but I also agree with JohnW2 that the work be carried out by a competent person.

A genuinely competent person would not leave exposed tinned copper Neutral conductor

View attachment 299614

It's a photo from a few days ago. It was dark when I was writing this post. As I mentioned at the bottom of my original post, I was improving the previous situation and this photo was taken while I was working on it. Having the neutral conductor exposed during testing is quite different from leaving it exposed generally.

Maybe I'm competent, maybe not. But discussing it doesn't really help anyone. In any case, you should fine-tune your methods to determine competency.

I was improving the previous situation
That doesn't appear to be true from the photographs posted.
Having the neutral conductor exposed during testing is quite different from leaving it exposed generally.
Having the insulation on the conductor chewed off like that is not desirable at any time.
Maybe I'm competent, maybe not. But discussing it doesn't really help anyone. In any case, you should fine-tune your methods to determine competency.
Discussing your competency might help save your life, or the lives of the people subsequently using the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back