Adding an rcbo into a consumer unit.

In that case, ask the person who is doing the signing off, as they are responsible.

Sponsored Links
Why one RCBO? I have all circuits on RCBOs which works but a mix does not make sense.

Sponsored Links
RCBOs are relatively expensive.

The OP has twelve circuits, all are covered by the two RCCBs.

I do not know why he wants one RCBO but it will not be any safer electrically but possibly might be more convenient when a fault occurs.

Would it be worth the expense to replace all twelve?

I was surprised to see price of RCBO's seem to have dropped, think it cost me less than £10 each, and I have 4 extra slots as no RCD's fitted, on old house lost three freezers full of food in last 2 years, never lost any before that, and had RCD protection since around 1992, but £250 for all RCBO and £150 for just 2 RCD's seems a no contest selection, just one freezer full of food is well over £100, OK it does not stop it tripping, but it reduces the chance.

However it would seem you need to change 6 at least, with my house lights split up/down, sockets back/front so would need at least 4 RCD's to ensure a earth fault on a socket would not plunge the room into darkness as well, simple risk assessment, and it was plain all RBCO was the way to go.

However if you need to write on a forum to ask how to wire, then you should not be doing the job.

Why one RCBO? I have all circuits on RCBOs which works but a mix does not make sense.
Whilst the great majority of my final circuits are RCD-protected, I have a small number of RCBOs - for circuits (like freezers) which I don't want to be taken out by faults on other circuits. Does that 'mix' not make sense to you?

I'm not talking about the comparison of all-RCBO vs all-RCD CUs in general, but rather why, given primarily RCD-protected circuits, having a small number of RCBOs may make sense, at least to me.

Kind Regards, John

Whilst the great majority of my final circuits are RCD-protected, I have a small number of RCBOs - for circuits (like freezers) which I don't want to be taken out by faults on other circuits. Does that 'mix' not make sense to you?

I'm not talking about the comparison of all-RCBO vs all-RCD CUs in general, but rather why, given primarily RCD-protected circuits, having a small number of RCBOs may make sense, at least to me.

Kind Regards, John
I have a so-called "High Integrity" DB here with two RCCBs and two RCBOs. I think the High Integrity concept is quite a good compromise.

I have a so-called "High Integrity" DB here with two RCCBs and two RCBOs. I think the High Integrity concept is quite a good compromise.
Indeed. Most of my CUs are 'High Integrity', and a few of them have at least one RCBO fed from the Main Switch, for reasons I explained.

I don't understand why john4703 said that such an approach "makes no sense" - it certainly does to me, and it sounds as if the same is true of you.

Kind Regards, John

Hey Jon. Just been reading thru. The guy not come back to reply. Done work on my house but you have to know your limits when a D.I.Yer. I know that his CU a mess and the wiring to it just way to short. The middle white wire coming in looks like no earth. Mounted on timber with no fire seal. lol Self Build Self disaster more like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back