Buy Steel frame Trusteel Mk2 or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am considering buying a Semi-detached Trusteel Mk2 bungalow. It is the perfect location and ticks a lot of boxes for us. For a family home, and with a view for living in it for a long period of time. Only just realised it was a Trusteel MK2 when on a second viewing, checking out the loft (steel rafters) for a possible loft conversion idea as there is ample room up there.

Also the current owner has got a full structural survey just done, including invasive testing (removal of some brick cladding to check steel stanchions for corrosion, roof supports and steel inside cavity walls), I have read the report and all is fine according to the engineer, with the steel stanchions not experiencing anything other than small surface rust with no compromise of its structural integrity.

Does anyone have experience of these builds and more specifically with undertaking extensions to them? This property has ample roof to extend to the side, back and into the loft space. However I know thay you cannot internally insulate (moisture next to steels etc.) so where does that leave you with a loft conversion and insulating?

I understand it may be hard to sell on in future depending on the market. However I am looking for a long term family home, reselling is not on the agenda, as long as it is possible to extend in the areas mentioned...

Also most internal cavity walls and ceilings have Artex on them (build is 1954) so I assume probably asbestos. How does this affect knocking down/rearranging internal walls, and extending?

If these above issues have a workaround or cause no problem then fine, however, if it causes extensive issues (financial and so on) to do this, is it a case for arguing for a lower price? As we will definitely need to extend/rearrange internal walls etc, to make the place upto standard.

Also there are many of the same bungalows in this area, all buy and sell quite frequently as far as the records show, and a lot are nearly in line with prices of conventional builds nearby.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A limited lifespan building which is well past it's expiry date and very likely to have a big pile of serious problems.
If the price reflects the land value only - perhaps, but only if you have the time to have something else built there.
If not - forget it. Might as well take a trip to Vegas and place all your money on red.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back