buying a house with damp?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a thermal bridge/condensation problem. You'll need to insulate behind the plasterboard

Thanks for the reply. if this is not serious problem then I would like to offer. by looking at pictures you probably think its not serious problem? what could go wrong here? timber issues etc?

Are the photo's upside down? Looks to me like you have a wall with the sloping part of the roof coming down. Could be a leaking roof and nothing to do with thermal bridging. ;)

Sponsored Links
apologies, yes, they're upside down. so nothing serious you suspect?

Thanks,

First pic? Is that the inside of the ridge? If so, then could just be the pointing of the ridge tiles.
Second pic - Looks to be an issue with the flashing above the bay window.
Third pic - Not sure, maybe an issue with the guttering, or the soffit area?

All of these could be reasonably easy fixes. Main problem is how long has it been going on, and is there damage to the roof and bay window structure?

Jay

There is no coloured staining to suggest that there is water penetration. It seems to be purely condensation related with the associated black mould

In those raked ceilings, it might be difficult to get access to insert insulation and to maintain ventilation to the loft

Either way, its not a major cost or major job

As a non expert and just to add a bit of an opposite to the debate as others say it might be okay or no major cost.

My place had no overt signs of damp due to it not being lived in and the windows being left open all the time. After half a year the damp started coming out and climbing up the walls, attacking the damp and finding that under the carpet and insulation the concrete floor was all damp the house needs to be taken right back to the bone.

Personally I wouldnt buy a house that I knew was damp. Other variables may be if your house is old pre-war and has had damp measures fitted like a DPC or damp proof membranes and layers of bitumin, old houses dont react well with damp proof measures.

Personally I wouldnt buy it. Another good idea might be to look for a fella on here called Joe Malone and go through his posts as he seems on the ball with damp.

There is a big difference to penetrating damp and condensation damp, and a big difference in the cost of dealing with it.

In this case, condensation may well be caused by the occupier's lifestyle (ie not opening windows or using heating) and so i could be an easy fix.

Obviously, we cant advise you from pictures, so whether a specific survey is necessary or not you will have to decide

However, that mould would be a useful bargaining point for a price reduction, and would not be a reason not to buy a property

Thanks, you're right. I'll go through all survey reports etc before deciding.

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back