Buying British

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I'd love to be able to buy a British car as reliable and as well built as my German car, but I'm unable to.

Ho hum.

I think you'll find they're not European.

I didn't suggest they were, but the question remains - if it is so good on the other side of the Channel, benefits are so good - why do so many risk their lives in small boats to get across it to here? Why so many risk their lives clambering under buses and lorry to get here?

Sponsored Links
I didn't suggest they were, but the question remains - if it is so good on the other side of the Channel, benefits are so good - why do so many risk their lives in small boats to get across it to here? Why so many risk their lives clambering under buses and lorry to get here?
It's obviously not to look for work in the official channels, because they could not work in official jobs.
Therefore it is totally irrelevant to the discussion about foreign workers, minimum wages, or whether it is economically viable for UK workers to work on minimum wages.

It's obviously not to look for work in the official channels, because they could not work in official jobs.
Therefore it is totally irrelevant to the discussion about foreign workers, minimum wages, or whether it is economically viable for UK workers to work on minimum wages.

Whilst I agree, the discussion had moved to suggest benefits were better in the EU.

Whilst I agree, the discussion had moved to suggest benefits were better in the EU.
I see.
So you think that illegal migrants can claim benefits in UK?

Illegal migrant arriving at Benefit Office: Hello, I'm an illegal migrant. Can I have some benefits, please?
(benefit office worker picks up phone and dials.)
Benefit Officer: Hello. Is that the UK Border Agency? We have an illegal migrant here.
Voice on telephone: OK. Detain them there. We'll be along in a jiffy.

Yes: Asylum support:

What you'll get
You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker.

Housing
You’ll be given somewhere to live if you need it. This could be in a flat, house, hostel or bed and breakfast.

You can’t choose where you live. It’s unlikely you’ll get to live in London or south-east England.

Cash support
You’ll get £37.75 for each person in your household. This will help you pay for things you need like food, clothing and toiletries.

Your allowance will be loaded onto a debit card (ASPEN card) each week. You’ll be able to use the card to get cash from a cash machine.

If you’ve been refused asylum
You’ll be given:

• somewhere to live
  • £35.39 per person on a payment card for food, clothing and toiletries

I see.

Illegal migrant arriving at Benefit Office: Hello, I'm an illegal migrant. Can I have some benefits, please?
Benefit Officer: Hello. Is that the UK Border Agency? We have an illegal migrant here.

See Notch7's reply above! Thank you Notch7

Yes: Asylum support:

What you'll get
You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker.

Housing
You’ll be given somewhere to live if you need it. This could be in a flat, house, hostel or bed and breakfast.

You can’t choose where you live. It’s unlikely you’ll get to live in London or south-east England.

Cash support
You’ll get £37.75 for each person in your household. This will help you pay for things you need like food, clothing and toiletries.

Your allowance will be loaded onto a debit card (ASPEN card) each week. You’ll be able to use the card to get cash from a cash machine.

If you’ve been refused asylum
You’ll be given:

• somewhere to live
  • £35.39 per person on a payment card for food, clothing and toiletries

Note the "you can ask for". There is no guarantee of getting it.
And they will not be allowed to work. (which is why they are given support while their claim is being processed.)
Refused asylum seekers will be repatriated.

A comparison of other EU countries does not support the suggestion that UK offers better, or best benefits:
upload_2019-2-28_10-9-27.png

https://www.dw.com/en/asylum-benefits-in-the-eu-how-member-states-compare/a-44298599

So how is this discussion relevant to the topic of EU workers, UK workers not finding it economically viable to work, etc?

Last edited:
I see.

What a naive prat you are

I see those that easily exhaust their reasoned arguments quickly fall back to insults and abuse, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back