Buying house without building regs for detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am in the process of buying a property in need of extensive refurbishment. In 2007, the current vendors built a detached double garage 8m x 7m a few meters away from the main dwelling, within the overall plot. The construction was not subject to planning permission as it met the permitted development criteria although no buildings regs approval was ever sought.

I have no doubts that the garage is safe and has been constructed to a high standard, but there is no certificate of approval.

My plans for this property are to extensively refurbish the main dwelling in coming years, but to extend the detached garage ASAP and make it into a playroom and office, which can also be used as temporary living accommodation when the main dwelling refurbishments are undertaken.

I would want to remove the existing tile on timber pitched roof, build up the walls to add a second storey, and replace the roof. Add windows, insulate ground and walls etc., add gas supply, electric etc. etc. I would want all work above board including planning permission and buildings regs.

The current construction of the garage (I have been told) is 300mm hardcore on stoney clay, dpc, 300mm reinforced concrete slab, with double skin rendered concrete block walls with 75mm cavity bats. Standard tile on timber pitched roof.

My dilemmas are multiple:

1. If i apply for a planning permission to add a second storey (which I want to do imminently so I can crack on with it when I complete early in the new year), I am bringing the existing garage to the attention of the planners and opening a can of worms?

2. If I obtain indemnity insurance at point of purchase and then apply to the council for planning permission, I am advising them of what has happened inadvertently and that is likely to negate any indemnity policy taken out?

3. Do I ask for a buildings regularisation certification to be sought? Any ideas how this works and your thoughts? Would this solve the problem in any way?

4. Does the current groundwork (as stated above) seem adequate foundation for the extra weight of a second storey?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Planning and Building Control are entirely different departments and generally don't speak with each other.

You know an indemnity will only cover the costs of any legal fees you may have to pay, if any action were taken, for the lack of regs? Which is extremely unlikely to put it mildly.

I'd be extremely surprised if you ever get PP for adding a storey to a detached garage. I wouldn't take the word of anyone that the foundations are as they claim.

1. There is nothing Planning can do as it's been up more than 4-years, which is the time limit for immunity from enforcement.

2. Indemnity insurance? - complete waste of money. There is nothing Building Control can do about it now - their time limit is 12 months.

3. No need for a regularization certificate - you seem happy about the construction. Building control will consider the existing structure when you make your application.

4. Speak with a local SE who may advise on foundation suitability - but your local BCO will comment as well.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your swift responses.

It's reassuring that you feel there should be no issues from planning or building control at this time.

The main dwelling and detached garage are on a 1.5 acre plot and not overlooked at all, hence I am hoping that planning shouldn't be an issue for adding a second storey.

From the information I have described, do you foresee any problem or would you simply ignore the lack of buildings regs completion certificate?

Many thanks for your responses in anticipation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back