Buying land with an active unauthorised use - opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a bit of land up for sale that's majority woodland, with some caravans. The local council have taken an interest in the caravans, claiming they're unauthorised residential an the council letter threatens the land owner with legal action if they don't do something about the caravans.. Looks like the owner has simply put the land up for sale rather than do as the council says..

Anyone have any opinions on whether such land would be worth buying? Would such an imminent legal problem drive the price down? What sort of action do councils take? How is it the fault of the landowner if his land is being camped illegally? What sort of repercussions might one encounter if they were to buy land and then take action against people camping there?

Sponsored Links
if you've got money for land you've got money for a solicitor. :rolleyes:

It took police and local authorities to remove illegal 'campers' 10 years and millions of pounds from Dale Farm.

Good luck

tbh, they could stay there as far as i'm concerned; i'd rather they were living peacefully where they are than coming round to my house and burning it down because I'd turfed them out of some small patch of woodland noone gives a toss about.. but I'm confused why the landowner should be held liable and taken to court by the council - does the jeweller get prosecuted if the shop is robbed?

Sponsored Links
It took police and local authorities to remove illegal 'campers' 10 years and millions of pounds from Dale Farm.

Good luck

I think that's disgusting. Same for squatters.

Whilst it is, in theory, illegal to occupy someone else's land or property, why should it be necessary to spend so much time and money in removing them? If you steal something, for example, you are arrested, charged and up in court relatively quickly.

Back