Buying tools on eBay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else noticed that some tools - generally the reputable brands - sell on eBay for virtually the same price as they can be bought new for?

I don't get why anyone would pay 'new prices' for used goods?!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the heads-up, never thought of that. This forum is a proper education

Their wives don't let them buy new tools, but "cheap stuff off ebay"'s allowed?
I just never tell my other half how much the stuff really costs ;)

I also have a marine fish tank and on a forum for that hobby, one of the guy's footer says :"if my wife sold my fish tank for what I told her it cost, I'd have a heart attack"

same can probably said for my tool shed contents :LOL:

Sponsored Links
At least tools are useful, and probably save money compared to getting a tradesperson in.

Handbags and shoes on the other hand ...

e bay is often expensive

people assume ebay is cheap it is not
people often pay far more for second hand than new
i do my research and you often find cheaper prices for the same new item on the companies website because the paypal and ebay charges are extortionate

as above make sure you do your research.
few years back i bid on a dewalt radial arm saw,i didnt register where the item was but thought id put in the starting bid of £50.
turns out the guy advertised it in the wrong area and i was the only bidder.

pick up only in 'shropshire' and im on the south coast. :eek:
he emailed to see if i still wanted it,so we arranged a time for pick up.round trip of 13 hrs and a tankful of derv.
and the thing is still in the garage ive never set it up properly :LOL:

nice one a 720 or 721 i assume worth £800 for £50 well done :D
how much you selling it for :D ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm often amazed that Amazon works out cheaper than ebay.

Mind you, I've only recently discovered gumtree...

Well we got an ignition for a Honda £35, a coil pack for a Ryobi £10 and at the minute we have £10 on a chainsaw.

We use the rule, if we cant just throw it in the bin when we get it home, its to dear.

But, to date, we have just been very lucky and got some proper bargains. It will cost £26 for a courier from the UK, to over here, but still a cheap saw. Especially when we know all parts are available locally.

I'll give you the item number, after we won the bidding ............ :cool:

I was talking about this with my brother the other day. I sold a dewalt drill that looked like it had been well used and got £60 for it. I bet you could buy a new one for £90

I suppose it's the same as the second had stuff you can buy from cex and cash converters, sometimes it's 95% of the new price....I just don't get who's buying it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back