buying your first house - impossible!

But how will she pay the rent when she retires and her income probably drops by 50% or more? Won't be any decent pensions for her and by then the population will definitely have risen by millions. Predictably house building will be a fraction of demand and the demand for rentals will be huge.

She hasn't thought this through.
I get the feeling alot of the youngsters today are feeling quite jaundiced what with student loans and not being able to buy, in other words I doubt shes cares too much and shes single too which doesnt help. Maybe she'll buck up a bit in a few years timeo_O

Just to follow through on your point about demand for rentals, we are now seeing major companies entering the build to rent scene and providing modern, clean rentals with facilities as opposed to some many privately owned overpriced fleapits so maybe this is the way for the future. But personally I would rather my kids bought. It can provide security for their future and gives them a sense of ownership - all healthy stuff IMO.

Sponsored Links
student loans are making house buying virtually impossible for lots off people with 9% off there income over 18k a year going on paying it back so by the time your wage is about 29k thats £100 a month

Maybe in years to come the country will turn back to the idea of social or affordable housing, and maybe even cut or stop university tuition fees.

We could afford it in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. Is the country poorer now?

Wrong figures Big-all. You only repay 9% on anything over the £21k threshold (and that's increasing to £25k soon) so it's only £60 a month to repay. The whole scheme is an abysmal c**k up, as you are charged interest on the loan even before you start repaying it, then you are still getting interest added until you earn over the threshold level, and then it gets wiped off after 30 years. It's only designed to grow through interest being added, but never paid off completely for 77% of those who take one out, and if that's not a screwed up concept, I don't know what it.

Sponsored Links
Of course the countries poorer John, but no point discussing that is there.

if you actually believe that, it would be interesting to see your figures.

(it's not)

dont get me started on student loans - thats another subject all on its own lol. I hazard a guess many students havnt done the sums, our daughter defo didnt. Students are told within further education dont worry about it, its a loan that doesnt ever have to paid off. Great financial grounding that is!!!

I don't want to defend the system, but isn't it misnamed?

Look at it another way.
It's not student loans. It's free university education for anyone, just like it always was.

However, if and when in the future, you earn over a certain figure, then you have to pay back some of the cost.

I've heard the stories where they're a bit blase because they're told , or assume, that they'll never have to pay the loan off, so why worry about it, but it still hangs over their head, and I reckon a lot of them will come to regret having taken one out just for the fun of going to university. I know a lot will disagree with me, but I think university should be for the brightest, not for everyone. If 77% of loans never get paid off, then the government is effectively subsidising universities more so than students who can make use of the education they've received. And if that money wasn't wasted on the universities, then it could go into the health service.

It's not student loans. It's free university education for anyone, just like it always was.

Well, not really, by virtue that you have to pay something when you earn over a certain amount, it can't be free, or you wouldn't have to pay back anything at all, and that's the true definition of a free education system.

But it's an interesting way of looking at it.

yep Unis for the masses now. Our Sons off in Sept, he's applied to 3 Unis. One of them offered him a place without even an interview so very low barrier to entry. Its about getting bums on seats so they get the funding. And when they get to Uni some get about 12 hrs classroom tuition a week with all the rest being self study plus copious holidays - thats what happened with daughter (Forensic Science) . Unis are a cash cow now - provide less classroom hours and double the intake = more income. I dont think the public have caught on yeto_O

PS the above said there are obviously still some great Uni courses!

dont get me started on student loans - thats another subject all on its own lol. I hazard a guess many students havnt done the sums, our daughter defo didnt. Students are told within further education dont worry about it, its a loan that doesnt ever have to paid off. Great financial grounding that is!!!

There is some talk of Privatising student loans, selling them off to Finance Firms , and the Finance Firms will make sure they get back the money they are owed. with added interest. A bleak outlook for our younger generation . ( Unless they go abroad)

(or unless the change of government comes soon)

Let's see. the Liberals said they wouldn't raise tuition fees, and they did, and Corbyn implied, they'd wipe of student loans, and then said it was just an aspiration, so as most parties promise the earth to get into government, I can't see Labour just saying anything other than they'd look into it if they (ever) get into office.

poor old doggit is lying again!

typical Quitter!

Sponsored Links
Back