Get keys this week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I get the keys this week for my first house.

I have a few jobs that I need doing within the first few days - change lock cylinders front and back, renew padlock on back gate, take meter readings on the day of completion and report them to Eon (the current supplier). Check the fixtures and fittings list.

I feel a little guilty now I know that the guy who owned the house before paid £91,500 for it in 2005. I just bought it for £77,000. :eek: I tried to haggle down to £70k, but now I realise why he wouldnt budge from the asking price.

Can anyone advise anything else I should do on getting the keys? :?:

Sponsored Links
...familiarise yourself with the stop tap, gas valve (isolator) and electric main switch.

Make sure they all work as expected now!! (i.e when it's not an emergency)

Oh get some smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detector and a fire extinguisher too.

...familiarise yourself with the stop tap, gas valve (isolator) and electric main switch.
stop tap - not sure yet. Need to find out the layout of the pipework.

gas valve under the steps by the meter.

electric main switch behind the tv in the living room.

Sponsored Links
dont forget water meter
advise the council [council tax]
insurance company
tv licencing

change off address to bank /work/insurance company/subscriptions /pension provider [past and present]employer/hospital/doctor/school/freinds/

check the duel fuel tarrif you are on with an on line checker [u switch ect]and swop if it says you can save more than 15%

I know this sounds silly but insurance should be high on the list, DONT take the mortgage companies insurance as its sky high. Shop around not for the best price but the most cover and best service, get it arranged for midnight plus one minute on the day you take possesion.

You never know what can go wrong so be prepared.

If your shopping around for insurances and elec/gas services, when you find the best deals, before you commit, sign up on quidco and you might be able to get some cash back, on the deals.
You'll also need to change address on your driving license.

Get your post from your old place redirected to your new place for a year. Doesn't cost a lot, plus there's always stuff you forget.

Don't forget passport as well!

Get your post from your old place redirected to your new place for a year. Doesn't cost a lot, plus there's always stuff you forget.

Don't forget passport as well!
Thats not a problem. I cant afford a holiday lol. If I do end up going abroad, then i will renew my passport, but i cant see it for the next couple of years at least.

And the post - its my parents house im moving from so not an issue. :cool:

Insurance in hand - went to confused.com, and the 3rd cheapest was More Th>n, surprisingly, due to their offer of free contents. :D

Will take the advice on quidco - sounds like a good idea.

I got a quote from More Than this week on their website (it was for car insurance)

it was the cheapest, but they phoned me the next day to see what Ithought, I said I was thinking about it and looking at other companies, and they knocked an extra £20 off

the co-op was a lot dearer (they phoned me too)

for house insurance, my best price was from Legal & General and cover was fine

it's worth going to their own websites, not just the comparison ones

the co-op was a lot dearer (they phoned me too)
Being a member I get mailings from them for car insurance when its renewal time. Its always more expensive than others, despite them telling me they can save me xxx amount!

Sponsored Links
Back