Buzzing boiler, think it's gonna cost me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. I had a problem about a year ago with a noisy boiler, it was actually making a buzzing noise, this seemed to be when the system got up to temperature.

Called British Gas and eventually the guy found that the problem was a small component (looked like a small valve and he called it a bobbin or something) The repair sheets says it's a non-return valve.

Anyway, he replaced it cos it was dirty and he all was well.

6 months later did it again. Guy came out and replaced it again and it was fine. He said it was due to a dirt in the system and i may need a powerflush to fix it for good.

What's theis powerflush malarkey then, i know it can be expensive, i've also heard that british gas suggest this for almost any heating problem.

Do you think i need this or are they just trying to squeeze cash out of me?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me! What boiler is it, and where is the "valve"? NRV's can buzz, but they don't live in heating systems as a rule.

ChrisR said:
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me! What boiler is it, and where is the "valve"? NRV's can buzz, but they don't live in heating systems as a rule.

It's a Vokera Linea 28 and the component came from the boiler somewhere. Doing a google on "Vokera Bobbin" throws up search results for a diverter valve if that makes any sense.

Here is the part that is going faulty all the time. IS it possible that cleaning the system with a power flush will remedy the problem?

untitled-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a possiblity that flushing/cleaning of the system will clear the problem up as its usually down to grit & sludge that cause this part to fail.

Worth remebering though that the part in question does tend to stick eventually and would require replacing although perhaps not quite as frequently as yours does.

Out of curiousity do BG charge u for this replacing the bobbin ? Do u have to take a p/flush or theyll take u off contract ?

Does it buzz though TN?
There is a non return valve (bypass) parts 7130, 7131, 6879 which can need attention, but buzz?

Have known make a noise when to much inhibitor in system they swell up and spin and can make a racket i generally replace them after draining system and refilling with less inhibitor usually cures noise

Thanks for the input guys.

I wasn't charged by BG for the replacement of this part.

What do you reckon i should do? Obviously i don't really want to go down the powerflush route because it's so expensive.

Do you think by draining and refilling (with added inhibitor) and replacing the bobbin will fix? and more importantly is it wise to carry out the work myself?

If your rads are in good condition then turn off the rads and add about 70 grams of citric acid ( or DS40 from fernox ) in solution to the system water in the boiler.

Leave it there for about 3-4 days then drain and wash out twice!

If that does not stop it then repeat!

Tony

Agile said:
If your rads are in good condition then turn off the rads and add about 70 grams of citric acid ( or DS40 from fernox ) in solution to the system water in the boiler.

Tony

Where do i add the solution? Do i need to drain the system and add through a radiator or is there another method? Also, should i run the heating to help the citric circulate?

thanks again

Hairy Steve said:
Agile said:

Tony

Where do i add the solution? Do i need to drain the system and add through a radiator or is there another method? Also, should i run the heating to help the citric circulate?

thanks again

Anybody?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back