What does a new boiler & installation cost in London?

London is a large place and with traffic speeds as low as 6 mph or even stationry for long periods one simply does not "nip" anywhere! In addition there are unnatural hazards added in the form of the CC to add to the problem. We have to set a normal primary coverage area which is only a small part of the City.

Since our charges are not intended to be competitive with the unskilled workers this landlord in particular will find them too high. We cater for those who want a professional service at an appropriate cost. Nor do we nip anywhere just to look or talk ( we do that on the phone ) all diagnostic or specification visits are chargeable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
London is a large place and with traffic speeds as low as 6 mph or even stationry for long periods one simply does not "nip" anywhere! In addition there are unnatural hazards added in the form of the CC to add to the problem. We have to set a normal primary coverage area which is only a small part of the City.

Since our charges are not intended to be competitive with the unskilled workers this landlord in particular will find them too high. We cater for those who want a professional service at an appropriate cost. Nor do we nip anywhere just to look or talk ( we do that on the phone ) all diagnostic or specification visits are chargeable.

Tony

so your not going then tony?

Agile said:

Tony

Would you pay a mechanic just for looking at your car? Or do you expect him to actually fix something?

You've seen the ad on TV, the one where the plumber is sitting in his car & the guy rushes out & says it's still leaking. The plumber looks annoyed & replies that he'll have to charge another 50 quid if he gets out of his car!

It's really like that isn't it!

I should put a clause in my contracts with my tenants. If tenant asks for help and it's anything that's the tenants fault, 50 quid callout + 50 per hour!

That'll stop 'em from calling.

Sponsored Links
If your so bitterly annoyed with the price's you have been quoted for various boiler changes, perhap's if you really do want to do something about it i suggest you phone British Gas and have it out with them. After all they are probably the highest price when it comes to installation cost's and also the biggest heating company in the UK.

If you can get british gas to drop there price's other's will have to follow to keep competitive.

See what they say..

I will admit, there are occasion's where combi boiler replacement's can be done in a day. If the gas is adequatly sized, and the location suit's the new requirement's for condense termination etc but these are fairly rare and should be priced accordingly anyway.

I think the problem is you may think you know how it all works because you've watched someone do it, also you've probably never paid enough money to see how a job should be done.

sambotc said:
If your so bitterly annoyed with the price's you have been quoted for various boiler changes, perhap's if you really do want to do something about it i suggest you phone British Gas and have it out with them. After all they are probably the highest price when it comes to installation cost's and also the biggest heating company in the UK.

If you can get british gas to drop there price's other's will have to follow to keep competitive.

See what they say..

what a load of balls.

BG dont have to justify their prices, if you dont like the price dont pay it :idea:

the reason their prices are higher is, partly, because they are the biggest heating firm.

corgiman said:
true nam

when did tesco last justify the price of chips

im nickso not namsag :LOL:

used to work for tesco too though :cry:

nickso said:
sambotc said:

See what they say..

what a load of balls.

BG dont have to justify their prices, if you dont like the price dont pay it :idea:

the reason their prices are higher is, partly, because they are the biggest heating firm.

Sorry how can you say that is a load of balls! If esso petrol was 10p cheaper than any other petrol supplier, they would without a doubt have more custom than the others. I'm not saying they have to justify there price's just like the average heating engineer should'nt have to justify his price's to the likes of 'polly' as he obviously has very little idea of the overhead's involved in running a plumbing/heating business.

British gas make it far easier to over price a job if need's be due to there unbelivable pricing. You or me could knock £1000 of the price of a BG job without even seeing it and still be sure you'll profit's will be acceptable.

Polly1 said:
Agile said:

Tony

Would you pay a mechanic just for looking at your car? Or do you expect him to actually fix something?

But you have to travel to the mechanic, I'm sure Agile would look at your boiler if you took it to him.

sambotc said:
nickso said:
sambotc said:

See what they say..

what a load of balls.

Sorry how can you say that is a load of balls! If esso petrol was 10p cheaper than any other petrol supplier, they would without a doubt have more custom than the others. I'm not saying they have to justify there price's just like the average heating engineer should'nt have to justify his price's to the likes of 'polly' as he obviously has very little idea of the overhead's involved in running a plumbing/heating business.

British gas make it far easier to over price a job if need's be due to there unbelivable pricing. You or me could knock £1000 of the price of a BG job without even seeing it and still be sure you'll profit's will be acceptable.

you did imply they had to justify their prices by stating the OP should phone and "have it out with them". as if that would make a difference anyway as their prices are set by market and internal forces and the profit they want to make, not necessarily what the customer wants to pay. what you are suggesting is a ridiculous notion.

i have no idea what you include in a quote but i can almost guarantee it wont include a 3-5 year servicing and repair contract at a reduced price. that on its own must be worth at least £300-£400 of the "£1000" you routinely knock off a BG quote. your profit margin is much different from BG's so i see little point in comparing the two.

when i was a BG engineer i could quite often look at a customers quotes from BG and independants and without a hint of bias see that BG's quote was competitive if not better in more than half of the instances i was allowed to check. as always the penny pinchers look at the bottom line and dont take any other factors into account. its the same on this forum, no one has any idea what has been quoted but still slate it.

and no im not biased, i have also seen BG quotes that were way off the mark by a alot of money, but ill say it again, if you dont like the price the dont pay it. just be careful that you have taken all factors on all of the quotes into account.

Polly1 said:

Its probably not really practical for you to rip the boiler off the wall and bring it to me to look at at my convenience is it....therfore we are going to charge for travel etc.

You have had an exceptionally detailed account of costs incured during boiler replacements.

Keep going Polly, your providing all the evidence of a tight ars*ed numpty landlord. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back