What does a new boiler & installation cost in London?

A quotes a quote. If you think you are being overcharged don't accept it :rolleyes:

You landlords are all the same. I've lost count of the number that I've told to P off and don't want their work. I only deal with genuine landlords who want a good job done and price their rents appropriately to include unforseen costs. My attitude is 'its right or it's off' Only problem landlords are those who 'Al Murray' would take an instant dislike to. I only do work for the 'Al Murrays' of this country :mad:

I'm lucky that I'm so busy I can choose my customers ;)

Sponsored Links
Polly1 said:
A straight replacement of a combi boiler can be done in an 8 hour day, so I can't for the life of me, see how plumbers can want £1,000 + for their labour alone.

Perhaps for a cowboy.

It used to take me about 3 days (ie 21 hours) to swap a non condensing combi. That was for installing in the same place with correctly sized existing gas pipe and perhaps the odd radiator change and TRV's. Normaly all the lockshields would require changing since most are rubbish quality.

Typically the time would be made up of a 2 or 3 hours spec'ing the boiler, checking the stopcock works, checking water pressures/flowrates, checking existing radiator condition and valves, checking gas pipe sizes/pressures, checking for flue position compliance, checking adequate drainoffs fitted, checking any other existing faults, checking access for ladders etc.

Then add the time for obtaining the boiler/rads/parts and unusual controls that some installations require - could be another hour or two.

The the actual swapout - normally start 7.30am and finish 7 or 8pm (no breaks).

Now disposal of the old stuff to a licenced trade site (often several miles away) ie another hour and cost.

Then another return visit to drain down cleaner/fit controls(eg new room stat) and refill with inhibitor, tweeking the balancing etc and sorting out the paperwork. Then we have the basic safety checks to do on the other appliances (duty of care etc) all this typically adding another 3 or 4 hours.

Now we have condensing boilers, often exisiting flue positions won't now comply and the boiler will require moving to a different location or extended flues must be installed. This can take forever going through the different options. We now have the condense drainage to plumb in - again lots of options and time. Powerflushing (often entailling all radiator valves to be changed) is essential for many systems if the boiler is to have any hope of survival and comply with thw warranty conditions.

This all adds several more days to the installation.

Now add more time for the call backs due to p*ss poor manufacturing and design. Now add the cost of providing a warranty. All more expense.

Lets say you want to earn £30000 (not unreasonable for self employment in a complex occupation) + £10000 (to run the business) ie £40000.

52 weeks a year - 7 weeks of bank holiday/annual leave - 4 weeks training/assessment/illness/callbacks etc ie "working" for 42 weeks a year.

Roughly £1000 a week. Many of us are lucky if we can scrape 4 days earning a week after all the non chargable agro (getting parts/contacting manufacturues etc). Therefore roughly £250 day rate.

Therfore a boiler swapout taking a week commands a £1000 installation cost. The boiler could be anything from £600 to perhaps £1200 if extended flues and remote controls are required)

Anyone dumb enough to pay a £1500 for a days work deserves to get ripped off - it might make them see sense, afterall cowboys wouldn't exist if the public weren't so dumb and lazy that they can't spend a little time to check what their paying for.

As for tight ars*d landlords I know hundreds especially the stupid ones that have bought property in the last few years (at inflated prices). Haven't got a penny to maintain their properties and want charity rates for everything. Roll on the property crash to knock some sense into them.

I also have some very astute landlords who appreciate that a well installed system will be long lasting but won't be cheap. However they are rewarded by very few breakdowns and happy tenants that stay ie no void periods providing zero rent.

gas4you said:
There's a lot more parts and upgrading to do when replacing a boiler other than the boiler its self. Labour rate up to £300 + VAT /day and you have to allow for call backs and up to 2 years warranty.

Welcome to the real world :rolleyes: If you want to pay peanuts then all you will get are monkeys to do the job for you :LOL:

So basically, you guys are charging now, for me to call you back to rectify your faulty work?

Polly1 said:
So basically, you guys are charging now, for me to call you back to rectify your faulty work?
Nobody (except joe-90) could be this stupid - you must be trying to misunderstand.

Sponsored Links
No the manufacturer faults. 75% of boilers I installed had either parts missing on opening the box, required finishing off eg rivets missing of had design faults that showed up after installation.

Take the Worcester iJuniors (non condensing) - at least half have leaked on the pump unions. These are callbacks that you have to attend even though its the manufacturer fault. Your own business ethics dictate you go back to the job if the customer has a problem despite it often being down to the manufacturer but you make no charge.

Howabut th Ariston Microsystem. You set it up and correctly range rate the boiler. A week later the boiler randomly locks out. Spend hours making sure its not down to your installation only to find its another design fault - and requires a manufacturer visit - again no charge to the customer.

All this extra time has to be accounted for.

The cowboy wouldn't bother answering his phone of course.

Gasguru said:
Polly1 said:
A straight replacement of a combi boiler can be done in an 8 hour day, so I can't for the life of me, see how plumbers can want £1,000 + for their labour alone.

Perhaps for a cowboy.

It used to take me about 3 days (ie 21 hours) to swap a non condensing combi. That was for installing in the same place with correctly sized existing gas pipe and perhaps the odd radiator change and TRV's. Normaly all the lockshields would require changing since most are rubbish quality.

Typically the time would be made up of a 2 or 3 hours spec'ing the boiler, checking the stopcock works, checking water pressures/flowrates, checking existing radiator condition and valves, checking gas pipe sizes/pressures, checking for flue position compliance, checking adequate drainoffs fitted, checking any other existing faults, checking access for ladders etc.

Then add the time for obtaining the boiler/rads/parts and unusual controls that some installations require - could be another hour or two.

The the actual swapout - normally start 7.30am and finish 7 or 8pm (no breaks).

Now disposal of the old stuff to a licenced trade site (often several miles away) ie another hour and cost.

Then another return visit to drain down cleaner/fit controls(eg new room stat) and refill with inhibitor, tweeking the balancing etc and sorting out the paperwork. Then we have the basic safety checks to do on the other appliances (duty of care etc) all this typically adding another 3 or 4 hours.

Now we have condensing boilers, often exisiting flue positions won't now comply and the boiler will require moving to a different location or extended flues must be installed. This can take forever going through the different options. We now have the condense drainage to plumb in - again lots of options and time. Powerflushing (often entailling all radiator valves to be changed) is essential for many systems if the boiler is to have any hope of survival and comply with thw warranty conditions.

This all adds several more days to the installation.

Now add more time for the call backs due to p*ss poor manufacturing and design. Now add the cost of providing a warranty. All more expense.

Lets say you want to earn £30000 (not unreasonable for self employment in a complex occupation) + £10000 (to run the business) ie £40000.

52 weeks a year - 7 weeks of bank holiday/annual leave - 4 weeks training/assessment/illness/callbacks etc ie "working" for 42 weeks a year.

Roughly £1000 a week. Many of us are lucky if we can scrape 4 days earning a week after all the non chargable agro (getting parts/contacting manufacturues etc). Therefore roughly £250 day rate.

Therfore a boiler swapout taking a week commands a £1000 installation cost. The boiler could be anything from £600 to perhaps £1200 if extended flues and remote controls are required)

Anyone dumb enough to pay a £1500 for a days work deserves to get ripped off - it might make them see sense, afterall cowboys wouldn't exist if the public weren't so dumb and lazy that they can't spend a little time to check what their paying for.

As for tight ars*d landlords I know hundreds especially the stupid ones that have bought property in the last few years (at inflated prices). Haven't got a penny to maintain their properties and want charity rates for everything. Roll on the property crash to knock some sense into them.

I also have some very astute landlords who appreciate that a well installed system will be long lasting but won't be cheap. However they are rewarded by very few breakdowns and happy tenants that stay ie no void periods providing zero rent.

Appreciate the effort you put into that post. However it sounds like you're talking about the whole system instead of just the boiler for a lot of your post. If I really got that level of service for my money, I'd be a happy chappy, but I haven't ever, despite apparently paying for it. I've simply had straight remove the old boiler, replace it with built-in timer & filling loop, connect to existing thermostat, test & certify.

The fact is that people will charge the max if they can get it & will offer the least if they can get away with it.

-----------------------

Softus, you're not even worth replying to.

NO, NO, NO, I'm talking about a boiler swapout.

To comply with building regulations/manufacturer instructions and the raft of other legislation introduced over the last few years this is what the job now entails.

Anything less than this is not going to provide a legal, efficient and reliable system.

The fact is that people will charge the max if they can get it & will offer the least if they can get away with it.

You mean like landlords? How often do you see crap DIY job's in rented properties because the tight ass landlord has bodged it? But what's the bet if/when you realised you could ask for more rent due to the increase in property prices, you did so even though your mortgage payments remained a similar figure?

It's caled running a business, which normally involve's earning money.

Anyway, if you had half a brain, which judging by your previous post's you don't, maybe you would consider training to become a plumber yourself, after all the money is crazy, the over heads are apparently minimal, and you could even fit your own boilers and add that to your little contingency plan.

Oh and one more thing, if were all such robbing barstards, how come there are numerous top engineers on this website, offering FREE advice in there own time to the public?

Get real, and come to realise that even landlord's have to dip into that fabric hole in the side of your trousers every now and again.

This topic has become like a bad episode of Eastenders - I know that no good can come from watching it, but I just can't help myself. ;)

But at least in Eastenders there is no Softus taking part!

The URL says everything - not only does this article carry less credence than a national newspaper, which is difficult in itself, but it's a random view, expressed by a random person, randomly posted into a topic about a question that should never have been asked on the forum in the first place.

The thing that the OP seems incapable of grasping is that there are two basic types of person - (a) generally honest and (b) generally dishonest. This failure is invariably a characteristic of the dishonest, as is being a landlord.

Whatever anyone might think of a quotation they've been given, or might think of charges levied by the plumbing/heating trade in general, exactly how stupid is it to do all of the following:

1. Join a forum and not read the rules;
2. Ask a question and be guided to the rules;
3. Continue asking the question that the rules prohibit;
4. Get a comprehensive answer anyway, but then challenge that answer;
5. Challenge the justification behind that answer.

Unassailably.

That's how stupid it is.

We go hand-in-hand Softus, you plumbers and us LL's. If it weren't for the property boom, neither of us would be making it.

In early 2005 I met the plumber (we're almost friends you know) who offered me a new boiler installation this week for £2,200 and things were tighter for him then, I personally believed it was because in late 2004 / early 2005, the property market in London was much slower, therefore less renovations going on and less work for plumbers. He basically asked me there in the street for work & asked me what I wanted to pay for a boiler installation so he could have the work!

Now I don't know what this feels like, having no work, because I'm a good LL, charging a reasonable rate, not trying to up my rates every moment I have 3 people wanting to move in at the same time. In fact, over 11 years of property investment, I've never ever had a single days vacancy in any property. That's because I know the market well & supply what my tenants want, a decent place & service at a decent price. Other LL's suffer vacancies (you only need to look in an agents window to see pictures of empty rentals) because they ask inflated rents and often offer undersized properties in terrible locations.

My tenants love my attitude to contingencies BTW, they like knowing that I've planned for HW problems through an electric shower in the house and heating problems through electric radiators available in the house and that they won't simply be left in the cold for weeks like many agents would allow. I have many other contingencies for other potential problems.

Price is a wonderful differetiator, but in my experience, for the plumbing trade in general, expensive doesn't automatically mean good and cheap doesn't automatically mean bad. It's left up to Jo Consumer to find out after the jobs been done whether the person was any good or not and the fact is, that if Jo Consumer doesn't know what the plumber should offer, then he generally won't get it, because the plumber will get away with it by virtue of Jo Consumers ignorance. With property, people have a better understand of what price differentiators indicate, because they can see what they'll be getting before shelling out.

When I started this thread, I simply wanted to know what you guys were charging as in my experience, once you give too many jobs to the same person, they start upping the price, because you said yes last time, why wouldn't you this time?

But instead I seem to have hit a nerve and for the most part, received abuse for questioning the ability of so many plumbers (not all) to overcharge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back