By-pass balancing valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The diagram below shows my current boiler set up. Could someone tell me what is the purpose of the by-pass balancing valve as shown on the diagram. Should this gate valve be left open or closed, or somewhere in between? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It provides a way out should there be any pressure build up. It does not do anything if its closed. Having said that I believe if you have 3 port valve its not needed cause one of HW or CH ports is always open.
If you have it fully open you will find water will take the easy route and will go back to boiler rather than go through your radiators.
We had 1 radiator that would not get hot, well not until I found the by pass valve fully open. I now have it about 1/4 open.

Sponsored Links
Come on then softus! It's no good saying I'm wrong if your'e not going to expand on it . How will I get it right next time?

Come on then softus! It's no good saying I'm wrong if your'e not going to expand on it . How will I get it right next time?
Here's a clue:-

If the pressure builds up, then how will an open bypass valve relieve that pressure?

Softus wrote:
Wrong.
Wrong.

Skidderly-bidderly-pupperly-wiggerly

what if it has trv's fitted ?
If the system has been badly installed, e.g. with TRVs on all rads, then all bets are off.

softus wrote:

Honeywell wrote:
Bypass – An automatic bypass valve
should be fitted to prevent any
increase in pressure within the system.
Even though there is always one valve
outlet open: the bypass will guard
against the possibility of the heating
circuit being isolated by the radiator
thermostats or manual operation of the
radiator hand wheel valves.

Hmmmm

Honeywell said:
Bypass – An automatic bypass valve
should be fitted to prevent any
increase in pressure within the system.
Would you like to interpret that nonsense statement?

Honeywell said:
Even though there is always one valve
outlet open: the bypass will guard
against the possibility of the heating
circuit being isolated by the radiator
thermostats or manual operation of the
radiator hand wheel valves.
And that one?

Or do you just prefer to unintelligently quote things, as if the words carry some special weight just by virtue of being published on a company web site?

Would you like to interpret that nonsense statement?

Sorry i only speak English and as that statement is already in said language i am struggling a bit.

If you want to make up your own methods, hey fill ya boots.

2226.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back