Bypass on/off switch on Tefal iron?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Tefal iron model no. 2820, some sort of steam contraption. The on/off switch has ceased to function, looked a tad black on inpsection. The wires leading upto it all seem in good condition so I was wondering if I can simply bypass the switch and wire everything up directly to have a permanent on connection?

I've got a neutral, earth and live on the main wire leading in. The live was connected to the switch and the neutral and earth already wired elsewhere. The other two wires that were connected to the switch are black (which leads to the centre of the steam plate - the neutral eventually leads to the other side of the centre steam plate connection) and red/brown.

I'm assuming I can just join the red/brown switch with the brown? which then just leaves the black which joins opposite the blue neutral so it's that one I'm not sure about. Any idea?

Or is this not a good idea based on the fact I can wire a plug and that's about it :)

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is an on/off switch and not a thermostat?
Best advice, put it in the bin and buy a new one.

Don't want to really chuck it out if it's usable as money is tight. According to the missus it's an on/off switch. I've now taken a piccy to make things a bit clearer.

The original switch which both live wires went in (one either side) is shown with the yellow arrow. The live wires which I've joined together are pointed to by the blue arrow. The red arrow show where I've stuck the black wire which was originally on the switch. There's a little black box there which has a black and blue wire on one side which you should be able to just make out. On the other side there was an empty connector which the black fitted perfectly (there's a space, let me try that :))and furthermore it didn't go bang!

I switched it on and it powered up fine, the circular plate gets very hot but I suppose that's natural?!? I don't know what the black wire is so is this ok to use? Don't want to come home one day and find the missus frazzled :eek:

I take it we may read the results of your work in the DIY disasters section later. ;)

It is not worth trying to repair some of these appliances and never assume that a switch is just a switch. some switches are custom made for manufactures and may include thermal cut-outs for safety. My advice is cut your losses and and buy a switch. I understand that money is tight, but is it really worth the risk??

Contact the manufacturer for high cost items as spares can normally be found. even for irons Click here

Salem.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I was looking at that yesters but got put off with the "Unfortunately, we cannot accept cheques" :mad: and enough sites have my cc details as it is. My thought is "Unfortunately, you won't be getting my business then!"

Yes, that is the switch for sure although it says for '2010'. What you have made me realize is that I can craftily see where I've stuck the black wire which was originally on the switch. It's now connected to this on the vertical connector to the right.
The other two wires on either side of that switch were live which I've stuck together (mentioned before).

My missus is worried but like I said "It's your iron, you test it!"

This is insane.
A new steam iron in Tesco is £4.14
Forget the broken one, it's not worth the risk.

This is insane.
A new steam iron in Tesco is £4.14
Forget the broken one, it's not worth the risk.

The OP is talking about a Steam Generator System and not a standard Steam Iron.
product-5324584.jpg
Tefal System

100-9551F_C.jpg
Tesco Iron

worth spending the money on a switch, then.

It doesn't matter what the appliance is, if money is so tight that a proper repair can't be done then as a stop gap a normal iron could be purchased for less than £5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back