Tefal Steam Generator Iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a cautionary tale rather than a request for assistance.
We have had for some time a Tefal model GV8932GO steam generator iron.
The other day it was plugged into the mains, the socket outlet switch turned on but not yet 'activated' by the iron's I/O button. In effect it was in 'stand-by' mode.
Several minutes later we noticed a strange smell in the room as if something was burning. This we traced to the iron sole plate which was extremely hot. I emphasis that to all intents and purposes, the iron was not turned on, just supplied with power via the mains cord.
Upon stripping down for examination the aluminium sole plate had partially melted, parts of the plastic interior had melted and the thermal trip which formed part of the sole plate had tripped.
Examination of the relay (R2) which powers the actual iron confirmed that its contacts were not welded closed - if they had been that would have explained the unexpected heating.
Therefore I can only conclude that the firmware that controls the iron had somehow triggered the heating relay (R2), so powering the iron, but had taken no heed of the thermal sensor which monitors sole plate temperature.
So, if you have an 'intelligent' iron, I'd caution against leaving it supplied with power when not in use.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back