Bypassing existing wired thermostat for a new wireless smart controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a new Drayton Wiser controller, replacing an old Drayton controller. Both of them use the same back plate hence I don't have to change any wiring for the conroller. However, due to the way it is wired currently, when the controller calls for heat the current will be sent to the existing wired thermostat and through that it will be sent to the boiler. I don't need this thermostat because the new controller comes with wireless thermostat.

I don't want to disconnect the wire to the thermostat at the back plate of the controller simply because it is very congested with many wires and I don't want to mess up that setup. My other option is to connect both wires, live and switched live, at the wired thermostat with a connector block. This will leave the neutral and earth wires still intact but give me a permanent closed circuit to enable the new wireless controller to work.

My question is, is this work around safe and legal? I don't see any problems but I am not an electrician.

Sponsored Links
You need some thing to identify there is electric to the point of the old thermostat, this could be a blanking plate or the old thermostat for the cables to be considered to be in safe zones, but nothing wrong with bridging at the old thermostat site, very common where Hive or Nest has been fitted.

You need some thing to identify there is electric to the point of the old thermostat, this could be a blanking plate or the old thermostat for the cables to be considered to be in safe zones, but nothing wrong with bridging at the old thermostat site, very common where Hive or Nest has been fitted.

Thanks Eric, I plan to bridge live and switched live with a connector and remove and insulate the neutral wire. I will leave the earth wire as it is in the thermostat back plate. I intent to keep the old thermostat in place so I won't need a blanking plate. I will keep all the wires out of sight behind the old thermostat. I hope this approach is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back