cable behind wall but how do you do it!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have taken out my double oven and after disconnecting the wires form the socket with the big red button, I pulled the wires which were originally behind the wall (plaster board). The distance is about 5-6ft so how do I get new wires to go back that route to connect new oven. I know now in hindsight I should have attached some string as I pulled the wires out but you know what its like when you get carried away.
I am a lady in distress - please help!

Sponsored Links
AH... "oops".

Well the there is a problem if the horizonal battens happen to run within the space between where you want the socket, and the top of the wall.

Chances are you will have to cut a hole above and below in the wall to feed the cables back thru the already made holes in the battens, then re fill and finish the wall surface.. unless they used conduit?

Easy to be wise after the event isn't it! If the run is horizontal then it's going to be difficult. You need to get something behind the plasterboard that can be pushed along to the hole with a piece of string attached. You could try something like a steel tape measure and a lot of patience - and someone to grab the end when it appears. However if you've got a batten in the way it will be a problem. Alternatively you've got to cut a few holes as decribed above and do it bit by bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back