Checking I Have Correct Electrics Setup for Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to switch from a built in gas oven to electric, keeping the gas hob on the work surface above.

How can I check that I already have the correct wiring installed so that I can just wire up and go with the new oven?

On the wall I have the combined cooker switch/plug socket which I believe is 45a, but not sure on what the actual wiring behind the gas oven is.

There is also a double socket in the cupboard next to it with two plugs plugged in, I think they may be for the gas ignition.

I can get the oven out, I just need to know what to check for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First thing to check is the size of the breaker in the fuseboard/consumer unit for your cooker. That will give you an indication of the size of the supply to the oven. It may be that the double socket is all that is connected to the circuit, so some work may be required.

First thing to check is the size of the breaker in the fuseboard/consumer unit for your cooker. That will give you an indication of the size of the supply to the oven. It may be that the double socket is all that is connected to the circuit, so some work may be required.

This is the one that's marked up as 'Cooker' http://www.plccenter.co.uk/en-GB/Buy/CPN/MC132B

In that case you have a 32A supply to the oven. This may (or may not) be a 6mm² cable.

This is likely fine for most electric ovens. In fact, a lot of single ovens now only require a 13A supply, so can be fitted with a plug.

Without you pulling out the cooker it's impossible for us to say for certain whether or not it will just be a straight swap or not

Sponsored Links
In that case you have a 32A supply to the oven. This may (or may not) be a 6mm² cable.

This is likely fine for most electric ovens. In fact, a lot of single ovens now only require a 13A supply, so can be fitted with a plug.

Without you pulling out the cooker it's impossible for us to say for certain whether or not it will just be a straight swap or not

Ok that's a good start then. I'll get the oven out and get some pics. I'm just not sure what to expect with it being a gas oven currently, unless there used to be an electric one in and the wiring is just hanging round the back somewhere

That is somewhat unlikely, but there may be a white plate on the wall ready for you to connect to.

Or, there may be nothing there, and it just supplies that socket in the cupboard and some work will be needed.

So, does your 'combined cooker switch/plug socket' do anything currently, apart from the socket part?
If you turn off the 'Cooker' breaker, and the gas ignition still works then you can assume the sockets in the cupboard are supplied from a different circuit. If they stop working then the outlet from the 'combined cooker switch/plug socket' which would usually supply an electic cooker or oven has been used instead to supply the sockets in your cupboard. There are ways to still supply an oven and a socket for the hob ignition from a cooker supply but I won't go into that yet.
Having said that, your new oven might come with a plug on it. Do you know the specifications of the new oven?

So, does your 'combined cooker switch/plug socket' do anything currently, apart from the socket part?
If you turn off the 'Cooker' breaker, and the gas ignition still works then you can assume the sockets in the cupboard are supplied from a different circuit. If they stop working then the outlet from the 'combined cooker switch/plug socket' which would usually supply an electic cooker or oven has been used instead to supply the sockets in your cupboard. There are ways to still supply an oven and a socket for the hob ignition from a cooker supply but I won't go into that yet.
Having said that, your new oven might come with a plug on it. Do you know the specifications of the new oven?

Think you've hit the nail on the head. Ive just been to have a look and got the camera under there without taking the oven out, there is a flat grey cable (about 1cm wide) that looks like its coming from the combined cooker switch/socket and feeds the double socket in the cupboard.

One plug supplies the ignition for the oven (which i will no longer need) the other plug is the gas hob ignition which i will need.

The oven we are looking at is this one http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliance...s53x-s-built-in-oven-stainless-steel/F080538/

If it doesnt come with a plug can i not just stick one on and plug into the vacant socket?

4.4 - 4.8kW

21A ish.

Need your 32A supply, can't use 13A plug.

If it doesnt come with a plug can i not just stick one on and plug into the vacant socket?
NO!!
That oven is rated at 4.8kW. That is much much more than a 13A plug can cope with and you will blow the fuse.
The oven needs to be hardwired into the cooker connection box from where your
flat grey cable (about 1cm wide)
originates from. The cable size will be specified by the maker of the oven. Assume it needs 6mm².

Haha i know i know, sorry :whistle:

I dont think theres going to be a connection box to be honest. Iooks like the grey cable comes straight down from the socket and into the cupboard powering the double socket.

Is it as simple as getting a connection box, feeding it with the grey cable and then wiring the oven and gas ignition/keep the socket and feed that still?

This is the cable at the moment https://postimg.org/image/j0xwqbfyv/ is this not the cable i need?

Manual for oven is here Instructions for Installation and Use - HomeSource 4U Appliance Centre looks like a 4mm2 cable is needed looking at page 24

What I would do if I was you, would be to:

Replace the existing socket & box, with a deep surface box, and another cooker switch with socket like you have above the counter.
From the outgoing side of that switch, a piece of 4mm² HR flex (you won't get that from B&Q etc, would need to be the internet or a proper wholesalers) to the oven.
Plug the hob ignitor into the socket on the socket on the cooker switch.

All done

What I would do if I was you, would be to:

Replace the existing socket & box, with a deep surface box, and another cooker switch with socket like you have above the counter.
From the outgoing side of that switch, a piece of 4mm² HR flex (you won't get that from B&Q etc, would need to be the internet or a proper wholesalers) to the oven.
Plug the hob ignitor into the socket on the socket on the cooker switch.

All done

Sounds good to me. So just to clarify, i replace the double socket thats currently inside the cupboard with a duplicate of whats above the counter pretty much.

Use the same feed that the current double socket is getting.

Then the output feed from the socket, use 4mm2 cable and connect up the oven?

I think the box is already deep surface to be honest so will just need to change the front

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back