cable channel in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,I am getting new carpets fitted all around the house and have discovered in the upstairs hall that someone has cut a small channel across the chipboard floor and laid an alarm cable in place, I am a bit concerned that this might be a weakness in the floor integrity? Do you think this is a cause for concern or will the floor be fine? the channel is only 1m long and 10mm thick and just crosses along the hall. thanks

Sponsored Links
It would depend what type of flooring it is?
But this is not ideal for cable protection it should have been installed in a zone that prevents it from being damaged.
The alarm installer has been a lazy sod!

Hi there, the flooring for the whole house is chipboard tongue and groove, I didn't think an alarm installer would run a cable under the carpet he/she was obvously an amatuer or it may of been a previous diyer,either way laziness indeed, I know chipboard can be a bugger to lift but that's no excuse really. Is there a way I can strengthen the floor by perhaps using flat metal brackets between the channel and screw it firmly? it is really more squeaky than anything but feels strong enough. do you think it will be fine? thanks

Last edited:
These are some of my alarm cables. You don't live in berks do you Ross?

full

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back