Cable Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a phonecall from my uncle he lives in a bungalow the other day asking if i could have a look at one of his four storage heaters as it wasn't working.
So i went and had a look and he told me it was ok until march when it was warm but put it back on when it went cool this month and now it's not working.

As it's E7 there's no supply during the day so i connected a lead to the heater on a 13 amp plug to test it and it worked ok

So by checking the wired fuses on the 4 way wylex board and they checked out ok so after finding out which fuse the heater belonged to i could not see 17.5 ohms resistance for the heater at the fuse with my fluke meter.

The meter board is at the back of one the kitchen cupboards one of most awkward places i've seen as i have sit in the cupboard to get to the fuses if you want to use both hands.

Today i went to check the cable continuity as the C/U is only 6ft from the heater i used a piece of wire from the C/U to the heater switch and tested each conductor in turn and the result is L/N open circuit but the earth is ok.

So the big question is why has the 2 conductors in the cable failed in that way?

I asked him if he had any work done in the vicinity of the cable which goes under the floorboards and the only work was when he had gas installed as this estate was originally all electric no gas.

Anyway the gas board only installed an earth for the gas pipes and this is nowhere near the storage heater cables.

So i think either someone had drilled through the cable but he says no or rodents but can they chew through copper as i would not think so but correct me if i'm wrong.

So the cable needs to be replaced.

Andy

Sponsored Links
As Spark 123 says, a double pole switch somewhere seems likely, perhaps the result of re-positioning the storage heater at some time.

There is a D/P switch the one i called the heater switch but nothing else.

The property was built in 1974 and had 3 storage heaters and in the early 80's he had an extension built and he replaced all the original heaters and added this one in the extension.

He has had no trouble with this installation until now but he asked me about rerouting the cable through the loft instead of under the floor.

The problem is he doesn't know where the hatch is the get under the floor he thought it was in the hallway but we found it wasn't,I want to know why the cable has failed and i can't do that unless i go under floor as there's other cables there and if it is rodents then we need to know.

His property backs on to a farmers field so rodents are a good possibility.

I have suggested he gets it rewired but he doesn't want upheaval of a rewire and thats the same response when i suggested he puts gas central heating in but he is 82.

Edit: I have just had a thought about what you have said about D/P's he must have had one heater in the lounge before the extension was built and that was moved to the extension.

So now i am thinking if they might have taken the feed from another D/P switch so i will have a good look tomorrow.

Andy

Sponsored Links
If I can`t find an access Point in a House , I walk out to my Van and get my Buzz Saw out , Lift a Carpet where a Trap would work , Normally in a Room under a Couch or in the Hall , Then proceed to cut a Trap ..... whats the problem ??

Lucky

I have been to my uncles today and the problem is now solved there was the original D/P switch behind the settee and checking the resistance revealed the 17.5 ohm i was looking for and it was switched off.

He doesn't remember switching it off but he had been away earlier this month and he always switches everything off and unplugs all appliances as he was a fireman.

So thanks for the help and i am still trying to convince him that gas central heating is cheaper than storage heaters.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back