Cable for car charger route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I need to get a new electricity cable from my understairs cupboard to the front of the house for a new car charger.

My options are limited and the only real way will be to get between the first floor joists from the cupboard.

This is looking tricky and was wondering if this idea if even allowed?

I have an electrician coming round later in the week to have a look but needed to know if this was even a possibility or structurally dangerous.

Run the cable next to the newel post and come out in the corner of the step and then box it in alongside the newel post and go straight into the first floor void between the joists

Any help of ideas would be appreciated.
PXL_20221214_121959966.jpg

PXL_20221214_121054596 (1).jpg

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see, however if apptopriate and accessible red or yellow could potentially be less visible:
1671034683145.png

Personally I would charge an EV at rear of house, but some don't have that option, with detached and semi-detached likely easier around outside of the house, with a terraced town house, the big question first is can you safely charge any EV at front of house?

There are many considerations, from trip hazard to earthing method, safe distance from house, methods to protect from DC, and loss of PEN, it is no easy task, which is why electricians need to go on special courses to ensure they do it safely.

The hard thing for any electrician is to say, no sorry can't fit an EV charging point here, one woman I work with had that, and can only charge her car at work, which means she has lost the main advantage of an EV of always starting with a warm fully charged car.

Hi, thanks yes I had considered the red line you suggested as it could sit behind the carpet as there is space. I was concerned drilling down from there in case i hit something structural. Red would definitely be the preference. ( i wouldn't be the one drilling!)

Yes can only be at the front of the house. I was looking to have the charger at the front of the garage and then run the cable under / to the side of the garage door somehow.

Sponsored Links
My EV charger is being fitted in a week.

Consumer unit in pantry at back of house. Cable being routed down into subfloor under the joists to front of house, then a trench dug through garden to parking area.

Thank heavens work is paying for it.

Point is, the company installing the charger don't mind the cable under the joists for the length of the house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back