cable route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam running a ring circuit in my occupied house, i have been running the cables through the joists but i need to get to a socket accross the room and the easiest way to get to it is running alongside the joist, obviously you would usually clip the cable to the joist but in this instance it is made very hard becasue of things in the way pulling up capret etc having to pull all the floor boards up its not a long route so i was just goin to lay the cabes alongside the joist.....what are your views on this please??????

Sponsored Links
Quite normal for electricians to do this on re-wires and the like as who the hell wants to pull up floorboards and carpet in the middle of a room. Yes, we all know it should be clipped.
I wouldn't worry too much, as virtually all older houses will have this somewhere.

One thing to be aware of is do not run the cable over any recessed downlights in the room below, if in the unlikely event this is the situation.
And avoid running cable over pipes.

which reg specifically states that it must be clipped?

as far as I remember, it just says supported.. well the ceiling is doing the supporting.

if you're thinking of the 50mm, that's only when it passes through a joist as that's where you're most likely to get an idiot driving in a nail or screw.

Sponsored Links
who the hell wants to pull up floorboards and carpet in the middle of a room.

A spark who's managed to con his customer into paying the extra. It would probably double the cost of a rewire.

Yes, we all know it should be clipped.

Why obey a reg written by a bunch of clowns?

How many people wake up in the morning and say to them selves 'I'm bored s*******, I know what I can do, I can buy some nails and bang them into my ceiling'

The real joke is, if the aforementioned numpty existed and decided to use 100mm nails what would happen:
Cables laying loose would be pushed out of the way by the nail ie no damage.
But fixed cables would'nt be pushed out of the way and would be damaged and posibly the numpty as well. :LOL:

im always seeing 100mm nails bursting through loose cables, dont think it matters with a nail gun as cable doesnt have enough time to move. it does however make it easier to rewire when cables arent clipped

what on earth are they firing 100mm nails into a plasterboard ceiling for and why aren't they locating the joists first.. kind of defeats the object to fire it into plasterboard.. they would punch straight through anyway with no wood to slow them down. you'd probably have 20mm sticking through the floorboards above too..

you might want to have words with your carpenter mate if he's putting up ceilings with 4 inch nails..

where does it mention 50mm, how exactly does a cable that doesn't move get damaged by a ceiling that doesn't move?

why then does is specifically show the cable lying flat on the ceiling in the depiction of method 100 - 101 and show the cables that are clipped as being at the top or bottom of the joist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back