cable for downlight wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just planning for some downlights and wondering the best cables to use between lights. The fitting looks like it will take one 1.5mm feed but i thought they would connect daisy chain style with 2 cables into each light apart from the last in the chain. Am i way off the mark? or missing something?
Ta

Sponsored Links
The fitting looks like it will take one 1.5mm feed
Has to be pretty small to only accept one 1.5mm².
What amperage do you require? 1.5mm² can take a maximum 20A.

A lot just have a connector block.
Are these Ikea 'specials' with a push in connector?

but i thought they would connect daisy chain style with 2 cables into each light apart from the last in the chain.
Probably. It's dependant on the situation.

Am i way off the mark? or missing something?
I don't think so.

The fitting looks like it will take one 1.5mm feed
They are often large enough to terminate a 1.5mm conductor, but it is not unusual to come across connector that only have enough room for one set of cables to enter on the supply side
but i thought they would connect daisy chain style with 2 cables into each light apart from the last in the chain.
Some allow for this some don't, it would depend on the unit you have purchased
Am i way off the mark? or missing something?
No, just different types of lights with different types of connectors.

You can purchase connectors that allow you to take a single feed to each fitting.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of going down the connector box route to keep everything nice and tidy. Can anyone recommend any connectors?

Sponsored Links
Options here, you could use any of these methods:
Choc box, Ashley or clickflow, providing the box is accessible for inspection and test, this can be acheived by the box being accessed via the cut out for the downlight.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Necessities_Index/Connector_Strips/index.html

Remember to keep the CPC continuous around the connectors, even if the fitting does not require to be terminated to earth.

TLCT100C.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back