cable from double oven to hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing kitchen units and would also like to replace the gas hob with an electric one. Will the electrician be able to run the cable from the existing double oven to the hob or will I need a new cable from the hob to the consumer unit?

If I need a new cable to the consumer unit I'd have to tear up the rest of the house so any alternative solution would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's best to have separate circuits for oven and hob but you might be able to use the same circuit if the supply cable is suitable.

What size is the cable from the CU to the cooker switch? What size fuse/MCB is used? Does the cable run through insulation/conduit etc.? What are the ratings for the double oven and hob?

Forgive my lack of technical understanding on this.

I'm not familiar with cable size but I recognise it as the next size up from the ones you would see on the ring main - 2.5mm?
It seems be loose behind the oven - no conduit.
The consumer unit has a 30A fuse
The double oven is 5200
I'm estimating the hob to be approx 6000

Thanks

Sponsored Links
SJRSJR said:
If I need a new cable to the consumer unit I'd have to tear up the rest of the house so any alternative solution would be appreciated. Thanks

I was in the same situation as you. I had a single cooker circuit wired in 6mm cable and wanted to fit a double-oven and hob. I was desperate not to have to put another circuit in until someone explained it to me like this:

"Tearing up part of your house is better than watching it burn down due to an overloaded overheated cable."

I bit the bullet and put the extra circuit in.

Just a note. The new cable doesn't have to follow the route of the old one. Investigate all routes and you may find one that isn't as bad as you first thought.

Thank you but I wanted guidance. If I can't have an electric hob I'll start looking at gas ones.

Thanks Demonic

I like the plainness of the ceramic hob but the consumer unit is at the other end of the house. It's far less hassle to replace with a new gas one!

Well, I went through all the diversity calculations and I could have squeezed my 5.8kw oven and 6kw hob onto a single circuit.

For anyone to give you further guidance they would need to know for sure what size cable the circuit is run in (tho a 30A fuse looks like it would be 6mm to my unprofessional eye), what it runs through (insulation affects cable rating due to heat build up) and the exact ratings of your appliances.

From the consumer unit the cable runs down 2 metres down through plaster, 5 metres under the floorboards to the kitchen and then up 1.5 metres on the outside of the plastered wall.

Oven is 5.2, hob is 6.

Electric hobs are poo. Dont let the retailer or anyone tell you otherwise. Stick with gas. You'll regret electric.

Crafty said:
Electric hobs are poo. Dont let the retailer or anyone tell you otherwise. Stick with gas. You'll regret electric.

I have to agree, I changed mine from elec to propane bottles (no gas in area) and I have to say it is one of the best things that I have done.

However, if you realy want an electric hob then why not get a single oven which can plug in and then put the hob on the old oven circuit:cool:

SJRSJR said:
From the consumer unit the cable runs down 2 metres down through plaster, 5 metres under the floorboards to the kitchen and then up 1.5 metres on the outside of the plastered wall.

Oven is 5.2, hob is 6.

So you'd really only have to disturb the first two metres. A decent electrician will probably be able to fish the cable under the floorboards and then just surface tack it behind your new units.

And electric hobs aren't poo, so there. :D

Demonic said:

Oh yes they are :evil: :evil: :evil:

poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo

nozspark said:
Demonic said:

Oh yes they are :evil: :evil: :evil:

poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo

They're not. And even if they were what would it matter. If you have a wife/girlfriend you never use the damn thing anyway. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back