Cable Gona BE Prob??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firslty thanks to everyone who has replied to my previous posts, you have all been most helpful!!

I am running 25mm 3 core armoured from a 100A switch that is sited in my meter box to my consumer unit that is about 10 metres away.

Just thinking ahead I see problems due to the sheer size of the cable when terminating it at the consumer unit and the meter box end? Any suggestions or thoughs?

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt you be using meter tails rather than armoured cable? Or is there a big risk of mechanical damage, hence the armoured?

If you do use armoured a metal CU is a good idea. A metal box next to a placcy CU is the 2nd option.

Sponsored Links
An RCD would have to be installed before the armoured cabling for it to comply in a TT installation though ;)

nope the story is that the max tails i can have from the meter is 3 metres, my CU is about 9 metres away, so I have a 100amp switch mounted in the meter box that the tails will connect to. From the switch i am to take the 25mm armoured to the CU.

Sounds right , well thats what i been told needs doing, hope its right! :))

And why the need to use a metal CU? was jus gona order a normal 12 way split load CU from one of the electricl factors

You need to use a switch fuse, rather than just a DP isolator, so that your fuse protects your cable (not the DNOs fuse)

Something like this is what you need.
Clicky

Having just a 100A DP switch is no different to wiring straight into the meter (Technically)

Thats why a metal consumer unit would be good, so you can attach your gland tightly too it.

Only problem might be getting the cable into the terminals!

If you use split con, you can use a standard insulated CU, and terminating will be no different to 25.0mm² tails.

Have a sniff around your local wholesaler, they may be able to find a cheaper one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back