Cable looping in sockets - is it necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating old property which was rewired 15 years ago and have noticed cable looping back on itself between sockets in the same rooms.

For example, in the lounge 2 live 3 core cables enter the room and 1 of them is wired into a double surface mounted socket (socket 1). The other cable goes to another double surface mounted socket (socket 2) but then there is a loop back between sockets 1 and 2 even though they were both independent live feeds.

I'm tracking the walls to bury the sockets but would dearly like to know if I need to loop back?

Sponsored Links
That is what is known as a "Ring Final Circuit".
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:socket_circuits:A1-Ring-final-Circuit

It enables smaller cables to be used because there are two running from the fuse/mcb to every socket.

This "ring" is fine IF the location of the sockets resembles a "ring", however, some people are so intent on maintaining this "ring" that they install both legs in the same place.

The referenced drawing link could be misleading since it tends to 'suggest' separate feeds (MCBs or whatever) as it shows each side of the ring on opposite sides of the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Ring_circuit.jpg

upload_2018-6-22_0-56-17.gif

upload_2018-6-22_0-56-32.gif

That last diagram is a bit odd! Where can I buy a double socket with just one outboard rocker?!?!

It enables smaller cables to be used because there are two running from the fuse/mcb to every socket.
Thanks for this explanation.

I've managed to salvage 2 of the rooms and loop the cables as they were wired but unfortunately the plasterer has plastered over the my work with only the single cable and NO loop. The only saving grace is that it's in the dining room and I don't expect there'll be anything needing a heavy load from there.

Broken ring then. You need to rip the plaster off and fix it. Then get the plasterer back to re plaster it. Sometimes this sort of thing happens. The ring does not only feed the dining room, it might even feed the kitchen with its heavy loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back